Cowl more wide open than Jerry Rice

TORBORG

Looking from the engine bay at the heater intake I can see straight through to the floorpan inside. Water leaks have been apparent on the passenger side and I was wondering if a cowl from a 94+ Tbird would fit my car? I know there was a recall, but I would like to gather some options to magnify my chances at the wrecking yard.

Sounds like you're missing a few parts! Is the heaterbox gone?

I think you can use later model cowl stuff on an 89, 90, etc. But I believe there are mounting holes that differ. I would say that you'd need at least the two top pieces and lower two pieces to make it work. (4 big black cowl trim pieces) Unless you're talking about replacing the cowl structure....that'd be a huge pain. :)

Wiper Cowl ??? There is no SC specific Cowl.
The holes are different from the 89-93 and the 94+ .. im sure you could make it work, but the mounting tabs below the window are in different spots.

- Dan

I didn't think the cowl was different between base and sc's. Dan, do you know if the 93 cowl has different screw mounts than the earlier cars? I know that the 94-95's do, but I think the 93's may have a different scheme yet. I know the early cowl plastic bottoms are not compatible with the 93+ tops, and vice versa. Unless I just have a screwed up set of parts cars. :D

there's a halfassed flap that is bolted over the intake hole for my heater.. i think im going to make something that works better

The 89-93 should all be the same. The 94+ have a solid curve along the window portion, and the earlier ones have the raised parts on each corner.

I have a 91 Bird with no wiper cowl at the moment .. im working on making a fiberglass cowl to replace it since I dont have wipers or anything else ...

But I did try to bolt up a 94 cowl at one point and the mounting points were in different locations. One or two screws would line up, but the rest wouldnt.

The bottom halves are slightly different also, but not really, but I think the bolt holes are in different spots .. you could just drill new holes in the lower portion to match it up. I think it would be possible to use the lower halves with a different upper half if you could figure out what to do with the mounting points. They are just held together by the weatherstripping anyways.

- Dan

When you said that 89-93 is the same, did you mean that they mount the same, or that they ARE the same? I know for sure that they're not the same, they look very different, but I'm wondering if they mount the same.

They should be the same. I dont see any reason why they would change for the 93 year only.
In 1994 they changed alot of the mounting locations on the firewall, wiper mounting, dash, throttle cable ... 89-93 should all be the same.
Ive seen an 89 and I have a 91 and the wiper cowls are exactly the same.

So how does the 93 look compared to the previous years and 94+ ??

- Dan

Different than both - 92 and 93 might be the same. But my 93's have very different wiper cowls than both the early and late models. I'll take a picture when I can if you want. One nice difference is that the 93 cowls have a rubber "seal" type thing that runs along the top edge, against the windshield. Besides that, the basic shape is a little different, probably an attempt to solve the leaky cowl problems. I'll take a picture this weekend for you. :)

Back