Replacement Seat Cushions - Gauging Interest

S_Mazza

Hello folks.

I don't know about you, but the front seat cushions in my 1990 SC are just worn out. I have been looking for a new replacement, but they seem to be discontinued from Ford. If anyone knows where to get them, please let me know. I have tried cutting my own out of foam - it's not a very good substitute for a true molded cushion.

In the meantime, I have made a few inquiries with foam molding companies about creating new molds and getting some brand new cushions molded.

One company that got back to me with a detailed estimate recently. My contact said that creating a new mold typically runs from $3500 to $5000 for each cushion. With an initial purchase of 50 units and annual volumes of 30 units, the price per cushion would be between $90 and $140.

So here is a best case scenario: Let's say we can work out a design that will cover both driver's and passenger's front seat. If we got 100 cushions ordered this year, we can factor in $35 per cushion to cover the mold construction, then $90 for the actual part, and $10 for shipping. So we could be out the door for $135 per cushion.

This seems a little too high to me. Does anyone in the club work in this field? I would like to get more estimates. It seems that it's hard to find a company willing to work in these small quantities.

Also, does anyone know who made the original cushions for Ford? It would cut a huge chunk off the price if we could just buy the original molds.

Thanks for reading. I look forward to any info you boys and girls can provide.

Don't forget that the seat cushion changes a couple of times through the years. I don't remember the specifics, but I know for a fact that my 92 and 95 have different cushions.

Yes, that's true. I think the SC seats were broken up 89-90, 91-93, 94-95. If it goes through, I am hoping to find something that will fit all the seat cushions reasonably well. May be impossible, but we'll see.

I work in plastics (not foam molding), and would bet that the tooling for the cushions were scrapped years ago. Even if they exist, you'd have to locate the vendor who's holding the tooling (they might not even know they have them anymore), and if located, get Ford to sell/release the tooling. And, I doubt Ford would do it. They would prefer to see it scrapped for liability reasons.

How about some of the companies that make replacement seat foams for musclecars, etc. Like Year One or Legendary. Maybe they'd be interested in adding these to their product line. I doubt it though; not enough volume. Maybe someday.

Another idea is going with an upholstery shop that specializes in custom (street rod) work. They should have access to the appropriete materials to make a reasonable facimilie.

Last option; salvage yards or classifieds here. You can probably come up with a used set that are better than what you have for a resonable cost.

JD

I think that a supplier like Year One or Legendary would be a nice thing, but I doubt that they do their own molding. I could be wrong (correct me if I am - I can use the extra knowledge).

I do have some issues with the other sources as well. Salvage seats aren't going to last another 15 years - maybe a few at most.

If an upholstery shop can do a good job with cut-n-fit foam, I would be ok with that. But I am sort of trying to streamline the whole process for all of us. I am figuring, if my foam is this worn-out, many others cannot be far behind.

Another option I am considering is trying to find a close fit among other cars currently in production. The thing is, these seat cushions were never that expensive to begin with - only about $40. If I had know they were going obsolete, I'd have bought two!

I think that a supplier like Year One or Legendary would be a nice thing, but I doubt that they do their own molding. I could be wrong (correct me if I am - I can use the extra knowledge).

I do have some issues with the other sources as well. Salvage seats aren't going to last another 15 years - maybe a few at most.

If an upholstery shop can do a good job with cut-n-fit foam, I would be ok with that. But I am sort of trying to streamline the whole process for all of us. I am figuring, if my foam is this worn-out, many others cannot be far behind.

Another option I am considering is trying to find a close fit among other cars currently in production. The thing is, these seat cushions were never that expensive to begin with - only about $40. If I had know they were going obsolete, I'd have bought two!

You're correct; Year One is a marketer and distributor of parts, not a manufacturer. However, a lot of what they market is commissioned directly by them. They could have them manufactured if it were economically feasible (which it's probably not).

I agree; salvage seat foams are not the best solution. You might be able to find some that are more serviceable, but not perfect ones. Also, I doubt you'll be able to find current foams that will fit and work well in our seats. Every seat design is a "custom" job, and seats have evolved quite a bit since our cars were built. But, never say never. You might find something that'd work, but it's probably the "needle in the haystack" situation.

I think the best route is going with a reputable upholstery shop who can execute custom work, and is used to working with enthusiest cars. Probably the best bet is to attend a car show, and ask the street rod guys who does the best work; that's your guy.

Good Luck!

JD

Just curious.. Are the lower cushions the same between left and right seats?

My passenger seat is perfect, but my driver's seat is totally flattened out on the outside edge. If the cushions themselves are the same left to right, we could use a junkyard passenger side seat, correct?

I'm thinking of re-doing the leather in mine one day, but want to take care of the flat driver's cushion while I'm in there..

Jeramie

The molds are held for around ten years but buying one i doubt that can happen thats all top secret stuff. Would need to get with ford, they call them service parts,, if you can even buy them not shure how thats set up..

Jeramie,

The seat cushions are not exactly the same, because the inner bolsters are slightly smaller to allow more room for the seatbelt. They are pretty similar, however, so you might be able to make that work. Sorry it took so long for a reply - I just missed this post somehow.

About the Ford tooling - I don't know how to get it either, but I am sure that they do sell at least some of it. Forming dies for body parts, for example. The seat cushion molds are probably just a big clamshell made of aluminum or composite with plumbing for foam injection? That mold is probably long-gone, but I just figured I would ask if anyone had any idea of how to track it down.

Back