selecting a tuner

backtobirds

I need to get a custom tune for a 90 SC auto, but am having trouble finding a chip to do it. I spoke with Mike who makes the TwEECer and he said he doesn't support Tunderbirds, and I don't want an EEC-Tuner as I have had a bad experience with them in the past and so has everyone I have talked to. What I am doing is putting the motor into a rust-free 95 LX v6 body. My options are to use the 95 PCM (which I know will work with my electronics and climate control already in it) and tune the computer, or take the 90 PCM, rewire the harness and hope it works. Or I could even put the motor and trans back into the 90 SC body and try to save it (the body is in really bad shape) Any route I go I will have to have a custom tune as I have made some upgrades while the engine is out.

I would like to go EEC-V, but looking at schematics it looks like putting an EEC-V PCM into this body won't work (someone chime in if they know differently).

I have spoken with Justin at VMP and Bill at Supercoupe Performance and both were extremely helpful (kudos to those guys for giving me the time of day for my crazy idea here), but am still having trouble finding an EEC-IV tuner. Any input? Thanks guys, I appreciate it, I'm fairly new to tuning Thunderbirds.

I had bought a racer package a few years back from SCT..I heard that they may not be selling that anymore for our cars...Unsure...I would think anyone that can burn chips can do that for you...If you want to go that route

xr7dave, real name dave dalke makes sct chips he made one for my turbo and im sure he can make one for you, contact him, he works with sct chips and he can set you up with something that will work for you

I'll go get ahold of Dave. Just curious though, has anyone actually used a TwEECer on a bird? Mike said he doesn't support our cars, but that doesn't mean it won't work.

tweccer

they do support the tweccer just certain ecc numbers i called him about one he said that he needed the ecc numbers, i gave them to him and he said that he had a reg tweecer but he did not have the rt verison for our cars. but it is no good unless you can monitor you changes. that is the good thing about having the rt verison. if i were you and if you have never tuned a car before i would let dave tune it for you it is a big learning curve tunning a car.

they do support the tweccer just certain ecc numbers i called him about one he said that he needed the ecc numbers, i gave them to him and he said that he had a reg tweecer but he did not have the rt verison for our cars. but it is no good unless you can monitor you changes. that is the good thing about having the rt verison. if i were you and if you have never tuned a car before i would let dave tune it for you it is a big learning curve tunning a car.

E you Big Bastaaad! Give me a shout! Spring is coming and Cecil taint that far away.

As for the topic backtobirds, let Dave do it. The man knows his Shiite and is a pleasure to talk to.

I'd ask Dave when he is doing the next dyno tune. I've seen him in Columbus and Dayton many times.
Alan

Hitech motorsports in Elk River might be an option. They can do SCT chips.
http://www.hitechmotorsport.com/

DB Performance is one that I know someone said they are gonna use and they are in Rogers. http://www.dbperformance.biz/

I'd start just looking around the area up there. Lots of car guys around, and all you really need is a guy familiar with ford EEC-IV tuning, a dyno and a wide band oxygen sensor.

Now you don't necessarily have to go with EEC-IV either if you want to make a project of it. Electromotive has a EFI system you could install, as does FAST. Takes more money and more work, but it's not all that bad.

mike,
i talked to someone over at hi-tech and they dont do sct chips, they work with diablo, this is what they told me, they gave me the number to db performance and i talked to them and they said they work with sct chips

They must have changed. the thundercats had a dyno tune event there once with SCT chips.

Oh well, I guess I don't need to try to call them either.

mike, when were you thinking about getting your car tuned, i will be going there within the next couple of months with the turbo, to db performance that is, and i wil be trailering it in a double long 5th wheel trailor that my friend has from apple valley to rogers. it would be kinda cool to see a couple sc's in there at once.

That might be possible. Motor is still being assembled. Plan is to be installing it in the car in April. Got a chip from Dave... or will once he finds it. So that might work...hmmm.. I'll get in touch with you later this month and see how things are going.

ok sounds good, i should have my plug wires in tomorrow or the next day so hopefully i can get her running around here, and fix any problems before going to the dyno. just let me know if you want to go, that way we can split the gas bill for my friends diesel :)

by the way whats all going on with you car, what have you been doing to it??

haha. Got relatives up north there. Get up north about once a year.

Car is getting rebuilt motor built to handle over 400rwhp, going to add a twin screw later this year. Machine work was done in January of 2006. Just started assembling it now. Body is getting repainted. Biggest goal for this year is just getting it on the road. Oh, drop springs and koni shocks as well. lots of getting a old car back into decent shape stuff.

Back