Reman vs. Rebilt engine?

gunman_sr5

A friend of mine popped the head gaskets on his 91 a couple months ago. When we finally had time to remove the heads 2 cylinders filled with water and corroded. We are toying with the idea of boring and doing a few other things to the current motor, or going straight up with a reman. The reman would be from Advanced Auto and about the same price as the rebuild. What I really need to know is how reliable are the remans?

are you sure the one from advance is a sc block? check out supercoupeperformance and spinning wheels sc because they sell reman longblocks but they're sc blocks.

All of the specs says its an SC block. The problem is their listing doesn't give details about the pistons or cam. I am hopeing someone has some info on reliability. I don't want to green light a motor thats going to pop the HGs out of the box. My personal feilings are we should rebuild it ourselves, but if the reman is reliable. I would take that road instead.

I used S&S for my truck motor and they did an excellent job and the price was right plus they give a 7 year 70,000 mile warranty. It's been 6 months and the motor runs like a top.
good luck
SCott

Here is what S&S uses for thier build, plus they do have the 7 year 100k warranty on their motors:

Q: What are the engine specifications?
A: Engines remanufactured by our remanufacturing line meet or exceed O.E.M. specifications.
- New Manley valves
- New Elgin valve springs and keepers
- New Badger pistons
- New Hastings molly rings
- New Dynagear timing gears and Durabond cam bearings
- New Dynagear timing gears and chain
- New Elgin lifters, push rods, rockers, balls and nuts
- New Dynagear oil pump
- New FelPro gaskets
- Cylinder heads are pressure checked
- Diamond honed valve guides
- Three angle cut valve seats
- All head surfaces are broached
- Blocks are bored with deck plates, cylinder walls are diamond honed
- Crankshafts are ground and polished for .002 clearance
- Camshafts are ground to O.E.M. specifications, hardened and polished
- Connecting rods are sized to .002 clearance

Not too bad for around 1400 bucks (plus core (249) and shipping(175)....) Balancing is $150, you supply flywheel/harmonic balancer, and port/polish is $350.

Most people who get thier crank ground end up snapping it soon after, or so I've heard. I suppose you could ask them not to grind it, or at least ask how much they shaved it.

Back