Supercoupe Problems

SVT_BIRDSC

I have a 1990 Ford Thunderbird supercoupe and I have been having some problems for a start it idles very rough its revs high then back low and almost wants to cut off at idle and at WOT it throws black carbon out of exaust and it seems to be runing very rich or lean i dont no which one but does anyone have any answers please let me kno thanks

Welcome!

Some black smoke @ wide open throttle is OK, however with your other symptoms, it sounds like it is running rich. most likely an O2 sensor.

IS your check engine light on? If so, you need to pull the codes. It can be done with a paper clip.

Keep in mind that the search function is your friend, it takes some getting used to, but it can be effective.

Anyway, for checking the codes, this is from 90coug:

"Take the paper clip and on the EEC test point under the hood (On my 90 XR7 it's on the passenger side up by the firewall) jump the single wire that comes out and the black wire that sits at the bottom of the trapezoid looking deal, a picture would be better than me trying to describe this but after you jump the two wires just jump back in the car and turn the ignition on. You'll hear the fan start turning and once you hear that you know the test is in progress, then just read the flashes on the dashboard. This is for EEC not OBD

You can also start the car and run the KOER test"

Here is a link to someone that was experiencing similar symptoms:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84327&highlight=running+rich

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks well i kno its running rich cuz of the blue smoke and rich smell dont kno about the black carbon

some black carbon buildup is normal, and some black soot out the tailpipe on high revs is normal, excessive indicates rich. blue smoke typically indicates that the car is burning oil. Pull your dipstick and take a whiff, does the oil smell like gas at all?

idles high and low

it sounds like your idle air control valve. its the bigger of the 2 sensors located on the t/b. ford dealer is the only place to buy them, the ones from the parts store is wrong unless it comes in a box from ford.
good luck, sean

thanks for the help well the car ant burning oil it is running rich well i put an 02 senser on and fixed the rich part it still idles stupid so imma try idle air control valve

Back