is a maf testable

bcr2886

help help help!!!!!!maf

OK, heres the deal. my car started idleing ruff the other day, it idles for a second then starts to die it acts like it's fighting it then dies. the check engine light comes on only when its at idle or coasting in gear with no throttle, at any rpm,as soon as i touch the throttle it goes out. I did a computer test and it gave me codes for the oxygen sensor and the mass air, so i changed them when i first started it i'd thought it was fixed but then the check engine light came on and it started idle screwey and it died. I retested it and it said just the mass air was sending low voltage that was the only code it gave. I purchased the maf brand new, is there a way to check it and the wiring going to it(if so please tell me) would the mass air cause the problem i'm having, if not what would (could it be the IAC) would the computer not give me a code for it. any help is more than appreciated thanks in advance

Last edited:
same problem

i'm having the same trouble with the check engine light that you describe. i haven't run any codes though.

Jeff

When the MAF throws a code, it's a good idea to check two things before replacing it - first check the MAF signal itself, the voltage at idle should be around 0.6. You read this by backprobing the voltage across either the two left or two right wires on the connector. Can't remember which, but if you get 12v, you got the wrong two wires. But it's good to check for that 12v, to rule out a problem with the power wires.

Then you can check the wiring in a couple different ways. One is to backprobe the EEC connector and make sure that the MAF signal actually reaching the EEC. Or, with the engine off you could trace the wires and check the resistance from end to end.

Back