leaking 3" rubber hose at oil filter???

ddw350

whats the purpose of the 2 lines coming into the side of the oil filter.i see they have hard lines,then like 3 inch rubber hoses.of course my hoses are swollen like a balloon and partially dry rotted and are starting to seep at the clamp.can i cut that hard line back some and just use some heater hose and reclamp,to eliminate the leaking section,or is thier a specific reason its a hard line most of the way..guess you would need a little rubber for flexibility or you could never hook it up...its been getting worse,im scared to try and tighten the clamp as the rubber will just crumble into pieces! thanks

ok,i saw some info on the search forum bout the the purpose of the lines ,seems to be some kind of primitive oil cooler?..i didnt see whether or not you can cut out a section of the hard line [the piece with the factory crimp] and just install rubber hose? i dont see any reason you cant,but you never know with this damn thing...

That is your oil cooler. What I did on mine is to split the crimp lenghtwise with a die grinder careful to only go to and not thru the rubber hose peel away the metal and replace the hose with the appropriate size heater hose. Clamp with hose clamps and your done. Mine has been that way for 2 years and is fine. Ford would want you to replace the whole deal but it isnt available.:(

i just took the whole thing out used a brake line cutter cut it after the crimp, sanded down the rough spots, and put 3/4" hose on then put it back in
put the clamps in easy spots so its easier to take them off if needed to.

p.s. dont loose that nut that you need to take off... and don't forget to tighten it!

sounds easy,i will tend to it when it gets a little warmer,unless the hose bursts first! thanks

Back