Is this part still available??

A1cntrler

Today my brother and I put a remanufactured ABS master in my 90 annie. Got all the brake lights gone from the dash now (except for at startup when it is doing the tests....) :D :D :D Feels good when something comes together the way it is supposed to... While we were bleeding the brakes, there is a sensor right under the master cyl. that has a switch that activates the ARC system (detects the brake pressure to activate the firm suspension). It started out as a drip and then went to a full bore stream.. I took the sensor off and inserted a 3/8 bolt with teflon tape on it to seal it back up. Worked to stop the bleeding for now and got the system working. I need a replacement switch for the spot, as I have new Tokiko shocks (ARC enabled). Anyone been able to locate one at a dealer or otherwise? Got a part number/price??

You "should" be able to get a dealer to find one, but they run about $90- 100. I am not sure if you would be able to find one aftermarket or not. They were also used on the Mark 7's, some Continentals, and possibly the 87-88 Turbo Coupes. I do know that the were discontinued, so it may be a challenge to find one.

If you are talking about the valve block that is on the frame......

Then I have a few of those.....:rolleyes:

But you already knew that.....:p

found mine leaking yesterday,

so yeah rockauto seems like the place to go, you can get it from ford for around $100, but they wont have it in stock, so pay $35 less, and get it shipped to your house.

i dont have illuminas, can i just put a screw in there with teflon?

so yeah rockauto seems like the place to go, you can get it from ford for around $100, but they wont have it in stock, so pay $35 less, and get it shipped to your house.

i dont have illuminas, can i just put a screw in there with teflon?

That is what I did. Take the actual part into Home Depot or Advance auto, check the thread on the old sensor, buy the right size bolt, wrap some teflon, maybe a drop of threadlock on it and go to town. Judt leave the old wire connection off. Since you don't have the ARC, it doesn't matter anyways. The problem with the old sensor is that internally it is weak. The fluid was going right through the sensor and coming out through the wire pigtail... Initially I thought the O-ring was bad and it was leaking around that..but sadly that wasn't the case.... It is a 3/8 fine thread bolt. Length isn't important, but get it as short as you can.

I do have the ARC still and have new ARC shocks to put on, so I'll be fixing the sensor. Temporairly I will be leaving it as is....

Odd that RockAuto calls it a Power Steering Pressure Switch.. That is exactly what it look slike though...

Attachments

• PSS18_FULL.JPG
    PSS18_FULL.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
That is what I did. Take the actual part into Home Depot or Advance auto, check the thread on the old sensor, buy the right size bolt, wrap some teflon, maybe a drop of threadlock on it and go to town. Judt leave the old wire connection off. It is a 3/8 fine thread bolt. Length isn't important, but get it as short as you can.

QUOTE]

thanks man, ill be doing this after work today.
i like it when its cheap and easy;) to fix the car.

had an oil leak, turned out was a loose azz filter...hmm

A bolt with teflon tape won't hold if you go to the track. I tried that on my 90 and after the first run down the strip I was leaving brake fluid on the starting line.

The pressure is too high. That's a straight cut pipe fitting with o-ring. I didn't have much luck finding a hydraulic shop with the size I needed.

Rock auto having the part is a good deal. Now if it just holds.

one more thing,

after you install the bolt or sensor, to plug that hole up...would you be needing to bleed the brakes shortly after?

Oil leak .. all over my driveway. :D

Are you sure that bolt isnt NPT ( pipe thread ? ) Just swap the bolt really fast, a little air in the brakes never hurt anybody ..... LOL

- Dan

NPT straight with o-ring.

need something like this:
240.gif

if you use a regular pipe plug it won't fit tight and the fluid will leak by the threads.

Last edited:
You wouldnt happen to know the size, would you ?? Im sure we could pick up an O ring .. or I might have some loctite thread sealant that should take care of any leaks.

- Dan

Mine seems to be still holding. It was just a 3/8 fine thread bolt and teflon tape and a drop of lock-tite. I haven't driven it more then 12 miles since the repair though. It is just nice to back it out of the garage and not have a pool of brake fluid under the car... Teh Rock-Auto part seems to be the way to go though. Maybe it is an improved piece over the stock one?? I figure that my stock one lasted almost 17 years (birthday 4/11/90), so the new piece may last about that long if not longer since it lives in a garage now...

Like I said, mine never leaked after a bolt and loctite as well until I was at the starting line of the dragstrip. Holding the car at the line and preloading the driveline was enough to cause it to leak.

I never found the exact size or fitting as I found lots of the wrong ones before I gave up for the season and just stole the part of my 93. I haven't put it back yet.

I think that the Ford part number lists as a Power Steering Pressure Switch as well. Maybe it was used in that application first.

I just received mine from RockAuto.com. Part# PSS18. $65 plus shipping.

And does your ARC work ok with it? My 91 is leaking fluid a little bit, but the ARC no longer works when you hit the brakes hard. So I figure the switch is bad anyway.

Just for reference, I checked RockAuto again today and the price has jumped to $96.00.

Back