Valve covers?

greenwood_60

Is there anything special about the SC valve covers? Can I use one off another year of 3.8? Are there aftermarket covers available (chrome?)? Has anyone one tried stripping the powder coat off them? Glass beading is taking forever.

Thanks
Jason

As far as I know, no. The pcv vents are different, and probly the oil filler neck. Powder coat, who told you that? glass beads? try a wire wheel dude.

'93 was the only year that the sc valve covers were steel, all other years were magnesium. you can't use na covers because oil filler neck is on the front drivers side front and would interfere with the i/c tubing.

The motor in my 94 came out of a 91 and it has steel valve covers. I know it was born that way because the only former owner was an older school teacher. From what I have read any metal that will conduct electricity and can stand the heat of baking can be powdercoated. There is a place in Kissemme that powdercoats andthere may be here in the bay area.

Ford used some type of black epoxy paint on the valve covers and it is very hard to get off.....

When I sand blasted mine, some areas would clean up nicely and others just wouldn't clean up, no matter how long you blasted....:mad:

I took a small torch, burned the paint, and them blasted them.....

It worked out pretty good, but be careful and don't get the valve covers too hot......:eek:

The motor in my 94 came out of a 91 and it has steel valve covers. I know it was born that way because the only former owner was an older school teacher. From what I have read any metal that will conduct electricity and can stand the heat of baking can be powdercoated. There is a place in Kissemme that powdercoats andthere may be here in the bay area.

well i guess your the only one in the world who has a '91 sc motor that came from the factory with steel valve covers seeing that they didn't make them until '93, time travel maybe?:rolleyes:

Back