Break problems...they keep lockin up!!

wauseonbird

ok...my 96 with the 4.6 and my front breaks r lockin up. I was goin down the road and hit my breaks to stop at a stop sign and the front breakes just locked up and I couldn't move. My dad drove it home and just used the e-break and that worked ok. Its just the front breaks too. I put new rotors and pads on it about 3-4 weeks ago and they have been good...until now. I need all the help I can get...what do u guys think?:confused:

First thing I'd do is check to see if the caliper pistons are frozen in the bores. If you can push them in with a c-clamp (against the old pad) with little effort it's probably ok. I am not sure if there is a proportioning valve inline but I bet there is, it may be plugged or frozen up not allowing the fluid to backflow when you release the brake pedal.

could even be a brake hose. when they get old they inlarge and close the small whole that they have. i know this can cause pulling when brakes are pressed idk if this could be your prob.

Step 1. Remove caliper. Check if both caliper pin sleeve bushings wil slide back freely. If not, remove caliper, press out and clean/replace. Also clean mount holes in claqiper. Relubricate with anti-sieze compound and check for smooth movement in caliper. Otherwise proceed to 2

Step 2. As suggested above, use a c-clamp with and old pad and try to press caliper piston back. If the piston will not move back freely, loosen the bleed valve and try again. If it will still not move back, replace caliper. Otherwise proceed to 3.

Step 3. If caliper moves back with the bleed screw loose, there is blockage somewhere in the line acting as a check valve and prventing brake fluid from going back. Often old hoses can do this. Remove brake hose and inspect. If it is rotted out replace. If not continue back up the line til you find the block point. Also check porportioning valve.

If both sides are locking up at the same time, there may be a problem with te propotioning valve. Although if you did brakes recently it may have been something you did with reassembly of the brakes. Did you remove and clean caliper bushings? Did you lube bushing? Did you usea petroleum based grease on bushings (may cause a sieze up). Did you press caliper piston back using a old pad, or with a c-clamp right on the piston (if piston goes back crooked it will jam up)?

Hope this helps get things started for you.

:eek: ok...I feel like a total idiot...I figured out what the problem was. when we replaced my rotors about 3-4 weeks ago, either the bolt fell out or I forgot to put it back in to the bracket that goes around the caliper. so what happened was when I would hit the breaks it would sling the caliper and the brace up into my wheels! not good...lol. so we went to ACE and bought a bolt that is exactally the same as the other one and put that on with new calipers...so I know it will work now....lol...thaks for the help though guys!

Be very...very..very careful. Exactly the same, and looks exactly the same are two completely different things.

Brake hardware is a specific grade steel for very specific reasons. Hardware stores don't often carry high strength metric fasteners. Compare it to the other bolt to make sure the strength is right. The strength is stamped in the cap of the bolt.

Be very...very..very careful. Exactly the same, and looks exactly the same are two completely different things.

Brake hardware is a specific grade steel for very specific reasons. Hardware stores don't often carry high strength metric fasteners. Compare it to the other bolt to make sure the strength is right. The strength is stamped in the cap of the bolt.

well...it fits right, it was the same weight, same size, same threads, so it should work...I mean...it cost almost 3 bucks for the dumb thing!! lol. I feel like a total moron though...I bought 2 new front calipers ($50 each) when all I needed was a $3 bolt!! ugg!:mad: :rolleyes:

Auto Zone sells the bolts. If you are talking about the "caliper locating pins" that have thread and slide then those need to be specific. If you are talking about the two bolts that hold the bracket to the spindle, make sure you get a strong bolt. The brakes get very hot and you don't want a cheap brittle bolt there.

Back