rad

D

digitalKaos

rad

Is it safe to run straight water in these cars for short periods of time? The vehicle must be relocated for a radiator and coolant change.

Re: rad

I wouldn't forsee a problem with that!
Just temporary though right??

OK!

ehem, i heard adam mullen blew headgaskets when he had all water in his afte eh changed the hg's...yep blew them twice in about a week...email him on it though atmax@aol.com

al

Hey Al, you really think that using water just to get it to the shop or whatever his destination is will cause the HG's to blow??
I realize that coolant obviously cools better, but just to get from point A to B, I wouldn't think that would be a problem.
Oh Well, just my .02

leforest...
i dunno adam said all he did was give it a moderate run for a short period of time and they blew so, i wouldn't

when i got my engine rebuilt a few months ago, they put in water only so it could clean out whatever crap was still in the water passages in the block...i left water only in there until i got to autozone...about 1.5 miles away, and then took it home .4 miles away to put in some antifreeze....i did a 40/60 and flushed in a week with 50/50 and teo bottles of water wetter

al

i just didnt wanna risk it

The boiling point of water is 212f. The boiling point of 50/50 mix is 223f. Think about when your fan kicks in. The pressure cap increases the boiling point by another 45f. But that's 50/50 coolant, not just water. Water itself gains a higher boiling point due to pressure, but not enough.

If you are going a short distance and baby it and you can keep the high speed fan on you'll be o.k. But it can get really easy to boil the water under the normal operating temperatures of the engine.

Thanks for the info, although now I am concerned with taking to the shop tomorrow. It is filled w/ mostly water now, and I will be instructing them to flush it w/ old rad installed then refill it with water. I will then drive it back, empty it when warm so as to remove all the water, and install new radiator. Then I will refill with 50/50 myself. Now I wonder if the shop may blow the heads if they idle it to flush it out, not to mention whether they refill it warm with cold water. Wish I could install without a flush, but Bar's leak seems to be in the system and I don't want it in my new radiator. Hmm.

Back