PDA

View Full Version : Tuning

Ira R.
03-06-2007, 12:38 AM
If you didn't see the post, Mr. Dalke is coming to Jersey later this month for tuning. In case anyone is interested the shop they use is about 5 minutes from the Goethels Bridge, so it isn't a bad trip. Not really going more then a little bit into Jersey actually.

Hey Miller, this may be a deal you are interested in instead of that place in Pt Jeff.

Ira

Miller
03-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Ha yea but to bad it was liek liek SURPRISEEEEEEE IM COMING TO NJ NEXT WEEK, and I havent even started my HG's yet...Im not even sure where I am going to do the work, as I cannot bring the car to my house bc that F***face has his eyes on the car...........but it woulda been nice if i had like a month or 2's knotice... = / I might make the trip to hangout for the day tho, and make you give me a ride hah

XxSlowpokexX
03-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I think it was very considerate of Mr Dalke to "NOT" post that he was comming to the area in the NY section for tuning... Especially being he is comming here for IRA #1...Then Tuning others cars #2. Of course being there are more NJ guys most likely wanting his services it is understandable to have the dyno/tuning in NJ.....However how would one even know who in NY would want those services if not put out there in the first place. Perhaps telapathically through IRA all of NY should have known of this..Gotta love this place sometimes

fasttbird12
03-06-2007, 11:45 AM
i want to see if i can get in there you know what date?

Ira R.
03-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Oh Jesus Christ Damon, give me a break. Not telepathically, but through an actual post; exactly like the one I put up. He is coming to tune at the request of the NJ group. He is coming to me because we have business to take care of. He is not coming to tune me. I don't need one, nor do I have any immediate plans to even attend the session in NJ. I am just one of what are probably several reasons to try and calander a date convenient for all.

I also don't understand how you equate "coming to the area" with something Dave might even understand. Why would he even for a minute think that tuning in Jersery is something that should be offered up to the surrounding states? Or should he also invite us if they were tuning in Easton? After all, that is only about 2 1/2 hours out and pretty easy to get to.

And then it just pissed me off that you would a$$-u-me he checks his Hagstrom before he makes a road trip to make sure no one gets offended because they weren't invited.

And you know what, I am not aware of any cars out here that might even need a tune, but I know Miller and you are always doing something to his motor so I thought I would pass the word on once I heard about it.

Anyway, I don't know why I am even responding. Maybe because your post also implies that I am in on some deep dark secret here to sneak Dave in and out of town before anyone finds out he was here.

I'll put the soapbox away now. Sorry guys. Guess I'm in a pissy mood. I miss my cars.......

Ira

Ira R.
03-06-2007, 12:06 PM
i want to see if i can get in there you know what date?

Looks like road tunes on Friday 03/23 and dyno tuning Saturday 03/24. I would mention your interest on the NJ Forum and to keep an eye open for updates.

Also, check out http://www.njtacc.com/ There might be more info there.

Ira

XxSlowpokexX
03-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Maybe I misread something however being you got so bent out of shape I'll have to break it down into baby steps...

As I get closer to finishing Ira's car I am planning a trip to the Long Island and a stop in NJ is def. part of the plan. I have committments to tuning for Vic and Joe. Anyone else need work?

That clearly states....I'm getting close to finishing IRAS car..And planning a TRIP TO LONG ISLAND..And a STOP <~~"Key word" to NJ is part of the plan. Not a trip to NJ and a stop off to IRA. And no I am not nitpicking..That IS what it says.

Meaning I'm comming to see IRA...And while I'm here I will be tuning two peoples cars....It was pretty self explanatory I would think...Furthermore (and I dont blame him for doing this) he mentions anyone else need help.

Also... How would he know if anyone would need a tune from NY unless he asked anyway? Crzy Horse is a hop skip and a jump from Queens as well as Westchester. And it seems only two people were planned as of that writing for a dyno tune..Could have mustered up two in NY that I know of at least.

And lastly..Why the heck would I think that you were smuggling Dave in and out of NY..Hell, I didnt even know he had your car or there was an issue with your car or you were even getting any work done to it..Dammed if I saw it posted on the SCCOA..All I know is one was running fine last I saw and the other a planter..

I have no soapbox to get off of however

XR7 Dave
03-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Sorry guys, didn't mean to create an issue here. I'm returning Ira's car to him and I have promised on my honor to take care of some issues (from last year) for 3 of the NJ guys while I'm there. I don't have a firm date and don't want people to make big plans for something that might get delayed or rescheduled at a moments notice. This isn't really a tuning trip and as I said I have committments that will take precedence over anyone else's tuning needs. The reason for the tardy announcement is that up until this past week I did not have an expected date for completion of Ira's car so it wasn't possible to start giving out dates any earlier.

That's all.

:)

Ira R.
03-07-2007, 12:14 AM
You know what, it was busy as hell today and I'm just too tired to argue about anything right now. You're right Damon, Dave should have invited us all out for a tuning day. Shame on him for not.

Ira

Miller
03-07-2007, 12:25 AM
oh stop yeh bickering I knew dave was coming to NJ to tune befor this post, so i guess an invite wasnt quite needed.

Dave, since my car will not be finished by the time you will be in the area to help Ira, Do you plan to come back to the area in the distant future ?

Pablo94SC
03-08-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm disappointed that I wasn't invited. :( I mean, I could show up and drink beer with the Jersey crew!! :D

Ira... I miss my car too. Anyone have a spare running 94/95 long block I can borrow? :p

Are there too many ;) :rolleyes: :confused: :eek: :cool: :D in this post yet?

Ira R.
03-08-2007, 05:56 PM
:confused:
I'm disappointed that I wasn't invited. :( I mean, I could show up and drink beer with the Jersey crew!! :D

Ira... I miss my car too. Anyone have a spare running 94/95 long block I can borrow? :p

Are there too many ;) :rolleyes: :confused: :eek: :cool: :D in this post yet?

Well, look who's back from TN. :p Augh it's winter and we all hibernate anyways. I am going to give you a call in a couple of weeks. I need to pick you brain again about the tinting we discussed last fall. I can't remember anything you said except the words "blue" & '18%" :confused: or was that "red" :confused:

Ira

Miller
03-08-2007, 06:23 PM
I have a friend who tints for almost every stereo + tint place in suffolk.. I can ask him if he can do it for you sidejob style if you want..

and... red tint.......?

Tex-n-NY
03-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Someone was looking for a low mile SC for around $2500. I have a 1990, with around 90K on the car, but less than 5K on the engine/trans (automatic), new from Ford. It is red with black Leather interior (fold down back seat). It is a one owner car. I am in Port Jeff Station. texcruzzer@yahoo.com.

Miller
03-16-2007, 12:00 AM
o0o0o dont tease me HAHA and dont tease paul either he's broke, and damon dnt like them early one.. I think Ira's the only one left with any money! so you know what that means, Ira should buy me this car !:p maybe next weekend when its nicer we can meet up and i can take a looksy at it just to torture myself unless yer time is valuable then thats cool too:rolleyes: :cool:

ps- I am going to try and make it out to watch the festivities that day, maybe con ira into giving me a ride, meet the Dalksta see what hes all about and meet whoever else shows up yehknowwutimsayinnnnnnnnnnn

Ira R.
03-16-2007, 09:28 AM
I have a friend who tints for almost every stereo + tint place in suffolk.. I can ask him if he can do it for you sidejob style if you want..

and... red tint.......?
I don't remember what Paul was saying. Something about slightly different color tint so the headlights behind you look blue instead of red, or something like that. It was different then just the plain dark or smokie looking stuff. I remember putting on his glasses to see what he meant, but that's all I remember.

He also said something about 18&#37; tint or something. I really don't remember. I do need to get the 94 tinted otherwise the sun and the heat will just ruin the interioir.

What does your guy get to do a car?

Ira

Ira R.
03-16-2007, 09:29 AM
o0o0o dont tease me HAHA and dont tease paul either he's broke, and damon dnt like them early one.. I think Ira's the only one left with any money! so you know what that means, Ira should buy me this car !:p maybe next weekend when its nicer we can meet up and i can take a looksy at it just to torture myself unless yer time is valuable then thats cool too:rolleyes: :cool:

ps- I am going to try and make it out to watch the festivities that day, maybe con ira into giving me a ride, meet the Dalksta see what hes all about and meet whoever else shows up yehknowwutimsayinnnnnnnnnnn

Next you're going to ask if you can share a room with me too, right?? :eek:

Ira

Miller
03-16-2007, 05:54 PM
........................................... :rolleyes:

Miller
03-16-2007, 05:56 PM
and your in trouble if you see red lights in your mirror, and i dont think Mr police officer is going to belive your excuse you didnt know bc the lights were blue;)

Pablo94SC
04-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Ira, here's a link to what I was talking about...

http://www.creativecarz.com/Tint%20Samples.htm

I'd recommend 30% Charcoal or 35% Platinum for your car. The Platinum will be slightly more reflective from the outside while the Charcoal will just be dark. I have the 18% Titanium, which is similar to the Platinum, and love it.

The Stealth was the blueish tint I was referring too. It would look horrible on either of your SC's, but would probably look great on Miller's black or Damon's teal SC.

No matter you chose, make sure your installer uses Llumar or higher quality film. They have a lifetime warranty against fade, bubbling, peeling, etc.

PS: If you wear polarized glasses, you should NOT use a metallized film like Llumar. It'll make your windows look like rainbows and impossible to see out of.

Pablo94SC
04-02-2007, 04:41 PM
One more thing... if you're worried about cops giving you crap for tint on your DS/PS windows, tint your side view mirrors instead. Anything that reduces glare at night is a good thing.

Pablo94SC
04-02-2007, 04:46 PM
This is what I was referring to by reflectivity in my previous post...

http://www.motortopia.com/files/3206/album_grace/45ad86197bcc1/IMG_0993jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

She's dirty and in the shade in that pic, but you get the idea.

One last thing... All tint reduces UV transmission into the car, but metallized film provides over 90&#37; reduction. In other words, your car will be even cooler than with regular tint and your interior will be better protected from fading and cracking.

Any questions, feel free to give me a call. :D

Ira R.
04-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Ira, here's a link to what I was talking about...

http://www.creativecarz.com/Tint%20Samples.htm

I'd recommend 30% Charcoal or 35% Platinum for your car. The Platinum will be slightly more reflective from the outside while the Charcoal will just be dark. I have the 18% Titanium, which is similar to the Platinum, and love it.

The Stealth was the blueish tint I was referring too. It would look horrible on either of your SC's, but would probably look great on Miller's black or Damon's teal SC.

No matter you chose, make sure your installer uses Llumar or higher quality film. They have a lifetime warranty against fade, bubbling, peeling, etc.

PS: If you wear polarized glasses, you should NOT use a metallized film like Llumar. It'll make your windows look like rainbows and impossible to see out of.

Now there ya go. I knew you would remember. How come the 30% Charcoal looks green-ish? I think the Platinum will look better against the burgandy paint. 35% looks pretty light though, but the 18% looks awfully dark. I don't know.

I do like the reflectivity (is that a word?) in the picture.

Ira

Payton
04-02-2007, 11:42 PM
That's what I have on my car as well. Love it;)

Ira R.
04-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Stopped in that new place on Sunrise Highway in Baldwin today. Speedworld. They're in the old Motion Performance building just west of Grand Avenue. It's a pretty standard shop, much what you would expect. Lots of bling on the shelves, catering to the 4x4's and little cars. Of course they say they can get anything you want in a day or so. Which means they order it from Summit or whoever their supplier is like everyone else.

But they do have a new Dyno Jet in house and claim to know how to use it. They weren't scared off, nor did they piss and moan about the 3.8 in the SC when I asked. And if it matters, they don't much have a high opinion of Joe over at Mustang Magic, nor do they seem Mustang fixated. They do sound like they know more then a little about Fords though.

Anyway, $75.00 gets you 3 pulls. $90.00 gets you 3 pulls with A/F reported. But that's it. Pretty straight forward. No real tuning and if you want to take the time to test different pulleys and such between pulls they will put you on the hourly clock. I don't remember what the guy said the hourly rate was, $115.00 maybe, but at that point you'll want to get it straight before you even start.

So figure $90.00 for 3 back to back to back pulls to check for horsepower and A/F numbers.

www.speedworld.com for more info.

They also had a 900+ rwhp Supra they were working on. Nice looking car. There was also this 4 cyl turbo piece of crap looking Mustang one of the mechanics owns that was showing 800 rwhp. Scary. Talk about a sleeper....

Ira

Ira R.
04-02-2007, 11:46 PM
That's what I have on my car as well. Love it;)

What do you have on your car???

Ira

pnyklr
04-03-2007, 12:57 AM
FYI in NY the legal tint is 70%

Ira R.
04-03-2007, 07:35 AM
So that means the 35% is legal, right, or does it work in the other direction??

I'm not so much worried about the DS/PS windows, but I do need something for the rear three. Besides the look, it needs to help protect all the new seat leather and stuff we're putting in.

Ira

pnyklr
04-04-2007, 12:21 AM
no 69% down to 0 are illegal

Pablo94SC
04-06-2007, 03:40 PM
From what I've seen, NY state law is down to 5% on windows behind the B-pillar, with 70% on those in front of the B-pillar, and up to a 6" strip on the windshield.

I have 18% all around, but I'm going to get an eye doctor to give me a prescription for it. All you have to do is have the doctor say you have photophobia (hyper-photosensitivity) and you're set. :) Then again, my car is registered in TN, so NAH NAH!!!! :p

Ira, 18% is only hard to see out of on really dark roads. Anywhere with street lights and you'll be fine seeing out your back window. As for 35%, it'll look very dark if you park with the rear window facing the sun. If the windshield faces the sun, it'll look much lighter.

Pablo94SC
04-06-2007, 03:47 PM
As for the Charcoal looking green, I saw that too, but I think it's a trick of the monitor and would still look stunning on your red car. White car, go Platinum or Stealth (blue hint for the win!!).

Ira R.
04-06-2007, 05:04 PM
From what I've seen, NY state law is down to 5% on windows behind the B-pillar, with 70% on those in front of the B-pillar, and up to a 6" strip on the windshield.

I have 18% all around, but I'm going to get an eye doctor to give me a prescription for it. All you have to do is have the doctor say you have photophobia (hyper-photosensitivity) and you're set. :) Then again, my car is registered in TN, so NAH NAH!!!! :p

Ira, 18% is only hard to see out of on really dark roads. Anywhere with street lights and you'll be fine seeing out your back window. As for 35%, it'll look very dark if you park with the rear window facing the sun. If the windshield faces the sun, it'll look much lighter.

Wait a minute! You recommended 30 - 35% in your other post :eek: Now you're just confusing me!!

ira

Pablo94SC
04-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Let's start over. 30-35% on all windows with a strip on the windshield will look plenty good and protect the interior very well. It'll also keep the car cooler in the summer sun. I have 18% all around because I actually have a sensivity to bright light. You've seen me wearing my sunglasses at night. I don't do it to look cool... it's just a nice side effect. ;)

Ira R.
04-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Let's start over. 30-35% on all windows with a strip on the windshield will look plenty good and protect the interior very well. It'll also keep the car cooler in the summer sun. I have 18% all around because I actually have a sensivity to bright light. You've seen me wearing my sunglasses at night. I don't do it to look cool... it's just a nice side effect. ;)

Okay, so it is legal then. I liked the 30 % charcoal I think. We'll have to see. I hadn't thought about doing the DS/PS windows, I guess I could. Maybe just a little lighter shade.

How big a strip will they put on the windshield? Couple of inches??

Ira

BT Motorsports
04-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Okay, so it is legal then.Just stay out of NYC with it. In the 5 boroughs, if you are a NY resident (anywhere in the state) and do not have a light test card with you, you can be ticketed individually for each window (last time someone I know got popped, it was $125/window) The burden of proof that your tint is legal is on you, NYCPD does not need to have a light meter with them to write a summons. If you get a real happy officer, he will be kind enough to assist you in removing your tint with is razor blade while he is writing your summons.

How big a strip will they put on the windshield? Couple of inches??

IraYou cannot legally go below the little line on the windshield in NY (about 4-5") which can be found on the passenger side of your windshield in the upper right hand corner.

Paul