new wheels...car shakes...hmmm

Merlon

so i recently had some mille miglia rims with 245/45/17 zr rated rims and tires put on my car...90sc

feels like poo around 40mph till about 70mph, then its fine???
i went to get the tires balanced, the guys were trying to upsell me on newer tires, and an aligment, so i left. they are for tbirds, they bolted right up 5x108...really nice looking, but damn uncomfortable. anything i should know? anyone have these rims i think they are evo millies. do i need to find hub centric adapters?

why would this thing shake, the whole car, like a massage chair while on streets, but be fine on the freeway?

so i recently had some mille miglia rims with 245/45/17 zr rated rims and tires put on my car...90sc

feels like poo around 40mph till about 70mph, then its fine???
i went to get the tires balanced, the guys were trying to upsell me on newer tires, and an aligment, so i left. they are for tbirds, they bolted right up 5x108...really nice looking, but damn uncomfortable. anything i should know? anyone have these rims i think they are evo millies. do i need to find hub centric adapters?

why would this thing shake, the whole car, like a massage chair while on streets, but be fine on the freeway?

It shakes because you need an alignment

More sidewall to absorb the vibration ?? :confused:

Could be the tires are imbalanced .. or you might need hub centric rings. An alignment would be nice, especially after you dropped it 2 inches recently. :cool:

- Dan

who are you and how did you know that?

hmmm magic?

yeah, im going to get that junk done tommorow, then ill swap these good lenses for those yellow ones i got from you...i cannot get the yellow out???

ill spray the edges where the yellow glue is silver, that way it looks good with the clears im getting...so you can get that corner back.

I dont know ? :confused:

Is that top secret or something ? ;)

I forgot you borrowed that corner. Thanks for reminding me.

Get an alignment, and your shock needs to be replaced also.

- Dan

oh i can keep it?

I dont know ? :confused:

Is that top secret or something ? ;)

I forgot you borrowed that corner. Thanks for reminding me, you can keep it

Get an alignment, and your shock needs to be replaced also.

- Dan

thanks ddubb...

Are your rims used or new? I experienced the same shakeing when I had a rim that wasint true (round), all the balanceing in the world would not fix it.

Start with a set of hubcentric rings before you spend a bunch of money on other stuff, they're cheap. Good chance that will be all you need to get rid of the shakes (in your car that is :p ).

cheers
Ed N.

You might also want to get your tires road-force balanced. I found out a couple of my wheels were actually slightly bent. I bought them used, so there was nothing I could really do about it. The vibration isn't too bad, but I suspect a straight wheel would be less.

Oh yeah, part of my vibration was also driveshaft related, but that doesn't apply here.

well got them blanced...25$$$

the first place, american tires...wouldnt touch my tires, wanted me to buy tires...f that. the second place, said okay, didnt make a big difference, still shakes...less now.

went to go get it aligned, the place wanted $109??? would be 2 hours, becasue it was lowered no dicounts:eek:

and i have a $20 coupon too...:( foget those guys...lowering the car sohuldnt mean a higher price...lazy a$$ monkeys.

ddubb know a place around here i can get a decent alignment for my mn12?

The "new" tires and wheels came off another Tbird .. I dont know if that previous owner had any problems with shakes or anything while they were on the other Tbird.

The balancing of the wheels could have something to do with it, I noticed some of the weights missing when I installed them on the car, but that could have been from a previous set of tires that they didnt take all of the glue off ..

Hub centric rings are always a good choice. Ive had a set of wheels that never had shakes when I left the rings out. It might be the way the wheels are positioned on the hub when installed, if they are slightly off in any way, they will cause a vibration at higher speeds ( you dont want to know what a 75 pound 20" chrome wheel feels like when its not perfectly centered at 25 mph !! )

That could have something to do with it not shaking as much now, if the wheels were put on a little more perfectly centered .. by using the lug nuts to center them .. this is why Hub centric wheels are critical for some types of wheels !!

As for an alignment, I always get the "lowered" bit, but I think its a scam .. I mean, whats the difference between an LX and SC Tbird ?? One is lower than the other. But yeah sometimes it can be more difficult depending on how much lower the car is, especially if you have an air suspension. :cool:
I usually goto Wheel Works for my alignment and fork out the $100 + .. but its been years since Ive had one done.

- Dan

Back