ABS pump motor

NickM

So, I have been having some problems the last few days with brakes-been having the ABS / brake warning lights flashing on initial application, so I have a new accumulator coming.
A couple of days ago, the lights stayed lit and I had no assist. Okay, replace the brown relay, says I. Replaced the relay, still the same, no telling when the motor would run or not.
Tonight, checked for voltage ate the motor harness-12 volts across the pins. Plug back in, no ABS motor running.
Take a ball peen and lightly tap on the motor itself, kicks right on and pressurizes the system. How likely is it that this will get better without R&R the ABS pump motor?
I know-not too likely.

Nick

If you do end up needing to get a new unit, let me know and I can send you mine to use as a core if you want. I just replaced my master cyl. last weekend. This way you don't have to pull out your old one to make the exchange...

I'd say it's about as likely as the abs system in my 90 working better when I go pull the car out of storage in a couple weeks. I put it away flakey, and I am betting it's still gonna be flakey.

The biggest problem with the pump motors is the seal on the shaft lets brake fluid into the motor housing....

Corrosion builds up and the shaft siezes to the bronze bearing and the motor quits working.....

Most places that re-build starters and alternators can re-build these motors.....

The biggest problem with the pump motors is the seal on the shaft lets brake fluid into the motor housing....

Corrosion builds up and the shaft siezes to the bronze bearing and the motor quits working.....

Most places that re-build starters and alternators can re-build these motors.....

Eddie FTW! Thanks, I had not even thought of that route.

Nick

Back