which code reader?

tripntx

Autozone and O'Reiley both sell a code reader for $29.99. Are they equal in there abilities? Or, is one better than the other?

If ya got the cash to do it....

Get the auto X-Ray scanner, it will do engine on and off tests, as well as clear codes....It give you real information about what is happening with your car rather than a blinking light...It is gonna run 125-150bux, but it is well worth it, I just got one and I will never look back....Awesome tool...

Cheers

I have too many other needy hands right now so the 29.99 ones will have to work for now. But, you have made me add the Auto X-RAY Scannerit to my wish list.

If all the $30 scanner does is give you the codes then skip it and save up for the for the more expensive scanner Cudaz is talking about. If all you want to do is read the codes you can do that with a paper clip.

Re: If ya got the cash to do it....

cudaz101 said:
Get the auto X-Ray scanner, it will do engine on and off tests, as well as clear codes....It give you real information about what is happening with your car rather than a blinking light...It is gonna run 125-150bux, but it is well worth it, I just got one and I will never look back....Awesome tool...

Cheers

Where did you purchase it? Is everything needed included in this price?

Does anybody else have additional input on purchasing an expensive type scanner, ie., any other brands to consider in this price range?

Schucks Auto Parts

That is where I got it...It came with the media cableing to my connector...This is what differentiates between manufacturers by the way...Get a differant cable and you can take codes from other makes and models as well...

Anyway, in my estimation the handheld scanner is nothing but a dummy console device, the vehicle provides the information and software and the scanner gives you the ability to monitor and log that information...Awesome tool...YOu can do on the fly monitoring/memory...and engine on and key on engone off tests, as well as clear codes...What more do you want for 125bux...LOL

Buy One...

IMO, the $200 scanner definitely is the way to go. My 95 LX popped the check engine light on last week and it idled rough. I didn't have the newer code scanners. My friend and neighbor let me borrow his and we hooked it up under the passenger dash. It showed bad EGR circuit. Just to see if it was because it had been sitting for a while, we cleared the code and started again. No more code, check engine light went out and it hasn't come back yet since. If I weren't selling the LX, I'd get a scanner tomorrow. The ability to clear codes and check the codes is well worth the money and be able to bypass your local garage. Good Luck.

My best to all.

Back