Lost faith in my Machinist......

ecyrbh

I've had my block,crank,pistons/rods,and flywheel in a machine shop since Dec.,06 and can't get a response as to how much and what its going to take to clean/bore/balance/etc.He says he cant find any pistons and I feel he he is just dragging his feet.Can anyone help me with part #,s for forged .020 over slugs so that I can find some one else to do what I need.Also any help with a reliable/knowledgeable machine shop in the San Antonio,Tx area will be appreciated.P.M me or e-mail at... ecyrbh@satx.rr.com

Are you sure .020 over is good enough? The machinist will usually make that call. Then you order the pistons, find the required side clearance and then have the cylinders bored to match the pistons. You don't want to bore it until you have the pistons if at all possible.

Sealed Power carries stock replacement pistons. Check www.rockauto.com for the parts, or contact Dave Dalke for parts. H675CP is the piston part number out of sealed power. It's available in 50mm, 75mm, and 100mm oversize and is a cast hyper-eutectic piston

Kotzur Racing Heads

I've had my block,crank,pistons/rods,and flywheel in a machine shop since Dec.,06 and can't get a response as to how much and what its going to take to clean/bore/balance/etc.He says he cant find any pistons and I feel he he is just dragging his feet.Can anyone help me with part #,s for forged .020 over slugs so that I can find some one else to do what I need.Also any help with a reliable/knowledgeable machine shop in the San Antonio,Tx area will be appreciated.P.M me or e-mail at... ecyrbh@satx.rr.com

I just used Kotzur Racing Heads for my head work last month. I was happy with the work, delivery and pricing. They're Ford-literate, and can probably help you out.

One of the counter guys that took care of me has a buddy with SC's, and was knowledgeable on 3.8's. Their web address is:

www.kotzurracing.qpg.com

JD

It's not surprising to me that your machinist cannot find you pistons. Finding pistons is something you need to obviously communicate with him about before anything.

You need to first get with your machinist, have him check the bores to find out if .020 over is ok or if you have to go.030.
In my case, I had to go .030 over even though the cylinder walls looked fine to me, it took .030 to clean them up completely.

Next part, I would have the block decked to ensure even deck height on both sides, then have the machinist get you the deck height. From their, you either have enough information to use the good sources through here to get you a package put together or at least you can get the information you need from here to give to your machinist so he can utilize your sources if need be.

If you are going forged, the pistons may have to be custom made, which takes a long time and is $$$. December is kind of a long time, but he is having trouble finding pistons. If I were him, I wouldn't bore the thing out without knowing for sure that I could get pistons for a halfway decent price.
chris

Last edited:
Back