PDA

View Full Version : 90 sc cranks but won't start

Mattlock
03-12-2007, 11:50 PM
ok i have read through a bunch of posts......i just changed out my engine for a one without a rod knock. it was running when i parked it a couple of years ago. now i installed a different engine and it cranks over but will not fire. the fuel rail is pressurized. the upshift light stays on when cranking which seems to be a crank sensor.....is this somthing that can go bad just from sitting around? is there any test you can do without a code scanner?
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks again
matt

92sclikenew
03-13-2007, 12:16 AM
ok i have read through a bunch of posts......i just changed out my engine for a one without a rod knock. it was running when i parked it a couple of years ago. now i installed a different engine and it cranks over but will not fire. the fuel rail is pressurized. the upshift light stays on when cranking which seems to be a crank sensor.....is this somthing that can go bad just from sitting around? is there any test you can do without a code scanner?
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks again
matt

does it have spark?

Mattlock
03-13-2007, 12:28 AM
does it have spark?

have not had a chance to go through it, plan on digging deeper tommorow.....if it has spark what dirrection shpuld i be looking? if it does not?
thanks again
matt

SVT_BIRDSC
03-13-2007, 12:36 AM
well if it turns over and want crank it can be two things its not getting fuel or its not getting fire one of the two

LJGriggs
03-13-2007, 11:41 AM
If your upshift light stays on while cranking, you are not getting signal from the crank sensor. It could be a bad sensor, or a wiring problem. Either way, you won't be getting spark.

Mattlock
03-13-2007, 12:22 PM
If your upshift light stays on while cranking, you are not getting signal from the crank sensor. It could be a bad sensor, or a wiring problem. Either way, you won't be getting spark.

thanks Larry, thats what i was thinking....is there any problems with aftermarket sensors? or should i be sticking with oem ford? aftermarket is $80 oem is $280ouch!
thanks in advance
Matt

LJGriggs
03-13-2007, 01:32 PM
I've got an aftermarket crank sensor on mine. No problems at all. It's whatever the brand is that you get at AdvanceAuto (GP Sorensen, Borg Warner, I can't remember). You might want to take the old one in to the store just to compare the two.

TSC89
03-13-2007, 02:03 PM
RockAuto.com has them. Last one I bought was $33 plus shipping.

Mattlock
03-14-2007, 02:15 PM
replaced the crank sensor yesterday. fired right up! was unaware of the adjustment.......good chance i broke the original during install....ooops! anyway thanks for your help, you were exactly right!

i have a couple other questions.

i installed a set of scp roller rockers on this engine and it seems to have excesive valve train noise....how much is normal for these roller rockers. i read a bunch of posts on this issue and found alot of people with the same kinda problem. some putting in longer pushrods & some machining rockers.....these are suppost to be a plug and play install....

also my check engine light is staying on. it seems to be running fine. is there anyway to check this without a code scanner?

again any help would be greatly appreciated
matt muenzler:confused: :confused: :confused:

Mattlock
03-14-2007, 03:23 PM
ok i pulled codes and get a 33 & 35 any ideas
thanks

Mattlock
03-14-2007, 03:26 PM
JUST RECIEVED THIS FROM BILL @ SCP

Hi Matt,
The rockers are going to be a bit more noisy.

One does need to check the lash on the rockers and you may need to shim the pedestal up or grind it down a few thousanths of an inch to achieve the best fit.

Bill E.
www.SuperCoupePerformance.com