severe vibration problems

cherrysmash

i have a 89 SC that i have brought recently, and i noticed that the balancer was wobbling. so i assumed that the balancer needs to be replaced. so i brought a balancer from a 89SC to hold me until i got a BHJ. when i took the old balancer off i notice that it was for a 5.0 motor not a 3.8L. So i put the SC balancer on and when i got everything put back together and started the car up, it vibrated like it was about to explode! i thought i had the crank pulley on wrong, so i took the crank pulley off to see if it was that, and the car was still vibrated. that made me nervous, so i shut the car down. Would could it be? do i need a new balancer, or could it be something internal? please help!:confused: :mad: :eek:

You might have one of the "Duracast" cranks that were in some of the 89 models. I think they had a different balance. You might want to search for Duracast to see what comes up.

isn't the duracast crank the weaker crank?

Yes, apparently it is. I guess Ford initially wanted to use the Duracast crank, but they had problems with it, so they went to a more expensive and harder to produce, but better forged crank.

Back