Short belt problems

BlownV6

To anyone using a 55" belt. Please tell me how you got it over the tentioner. I knew i should have went with a 56" belt.

To anyone using a 55" belt. Please tell me how you got it over the tentioner. I knew i should have went with a 56" belt.

I'm running a 55" but only because my tensioner is unique. I think it's a bit too tight to use the stock spring tensioner (unless you can find a smaller pulley wheel). I would just go with the 56". I had massive slipping problems with my stock tensioner reversed and a 56". I went to a stationary tensioner from a N/A v6 tbird. I use a 6 ribbed pulley from some 4 cyl. mustang. I just apply tension with a prybar and crank down the tensioner mounting bolt nice and tight. It works much better that way for me.

I'm running a 55" but only because my tensioner is unique. I think it's a bit too tight to use the stock spring tensioner (unless you can find a smaller pulley wheel). I would just go with the 56". I had massive slipping problems with my stock tensioner reversed and a 56". I went to a stationary tensioner from a N/A v6 tbird. I use a 6 ribbed pulley from some 4 cyl. mustang. I just apply tension with a prybar and crank down the tensioner mounting bolt nice and tight. It works much better that way for me.

Luckily advance has a 56" belt in stock which i'm going to pickup tomorrow. You need around another inch to work perfectly with the stock tentioner. No big deal

Luckily advance has a 56" belt in stock which i'm going to pickup tomorrow. You need around another inch to work perfectly with the stock tentioner. No big deal
Hopefully your stock tensioner spring isn't as tired as mine was. I know most guys have used the 56" with no problems though.

Jeremy,

I was reading in another thread that i have to cut the stop tab? You by chance have any pics of exactly what i have to cut?

Nearly everyone has different tensioner/pulley combo's...so a short belt set up is REALLY hard to just buy a suggested belt size and swap it in. You should wrap a piece of string around the pulleys and measure it. Then you'll know what size belt you are looking for.

Understand that. Just not sure what the stop tab looks like. :)

look at the front face of the tensioner. now you'll see a little tab sticking out that will stop the tensioner from going around 360 degrees. That is the tab that you have to cut. I cut mine while the belt was still on so it didn't come flying around full circle. If you take tension off your belt and let the tensioner go, that tab will stop it from going completely around. I know there's pics somewhere. search for "AC delete".
Here's a decent link: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71179&highlight=delete
You have to go back in time on the search to start finding the good threads.

Last edited:
Back