Problem, Ideas of being PIG RICH!!

bbird94

Hey guys,

My car is way rich right now to the point to where the car is stumbling like crazy on it's face and not staying alive! Here are the symptoms: car won't hold an idle you have to help it to just stay alive. Second, black smoke is coming from the exhaust, occassionally back fires, and the fumes are so bad it kind of burns my eyes. Third, it reads anywhere from 10 to 15in. of vacuum. I have a few ideas but they probably aren't right!

Give me some ideas guys so I can start to go on another wild goose chase! Please help and I thank you for all your time and .02!

Later,
Brandon

Hey,

I have checked out most of the obvious problems that make it rich, like a vacuum leak, fuel problems, etc. But all I have done with the vacuum leak problem is looked for pulled vacuum lines. Is there an actual vacuum test that I can do to hunt for the cause??

Let me know what you got and thanks again for all your help!

Later,
Brandon

Retarded ignition timing can bring a vacuum and idle quality quite low. In my case it was caused by broken balancer... so there you have one more point to check :)

you could try to swap out your MAF electronics with another known good one. My car runs like ~~~ when I forget to plug the maf in after working on it.

sounds like 02 sensor to me rough idele and the black smoke had same problem with a 90 ford f150 changed 02 and it ran fine good luck:)

does your car start fine when its cold then after warmed up it will shut off or wont start beside the smelling rich? if so check the wiring conectors in the passenger foot panels that go to the eec and else where make sure all your ground pins are conected secure not broken off the wires on all the black and black and green wires.

Back