Anyone use a Tweecer in a SC yet?

BlackbirdSC

Just emailed Mike Glover from Slower Traffic Keep Right (the actual name of the company that makes the Tweecer) and he replied that there's full support in the Tweecer and Tweecer RT for at leas the W1M and M2Y processor codes I asked about. Since my EEC Tuner board is starting to freak out again (had it almost get me run over in rush over traffic last week) I'll be getting an order in for probably an RT model this week.

I personally think SCT is charging more than what they're worth. I'm sure there's 100s of people that'll say otherwise, but that's my opinion. So I'm glad there's an alternative now that can be had for under $400 (for the base Tweecer). I'm expecting it to be somewhere between the relatively lame EEC Tuner based stuff but not quiet what the SCT stuff has, although I could be wrong.

Anyone else try a Tweecer in a SC? I'll post when I get it in and working. Gotta get the SC tuned to run on a 50/50 mix of E85 and 87 gas. :) Worked ok on a 30/70 mix at 12:1 AF but started lean misfire under 75% or higher throttle on a 50/50 mix. I'm hoping to get it to a 60/40 mix of E85 and 87 since that'll save me about $10-$12 per tank and net a 94-96 octane fuel.

Tweecer got all of his Ford stuff from SC Tuner. Main difference is TwEECer is a nice piece of hardware, but has multiple software bugs.

Make sure you do the math on running alcohol, you will need to run richer, and tune with a wideband that can read alcohol. Good luck.

SCT Dug into the EEC a little deeper than others, so they have access to some things that other systems don't. That's about it, and they really have no respect for the EEC-IV OBDI cars. They can make money hand over fist on the OBDII stuff so doing anything with OBDI cars simply costs them money.

Gotta get the SC tuned to run on a 50/50 mix of E85 and 87 gas. :) Worked ok on a 30/70 mix at 12:1 AF but started lean misfire under 75% or higher throttle on a 50/50 mix. I'm hoping to get it to a 60/40 mix of E85 and 87 since that'll save me about $10-$12 per tank and net a 94-96 octane fuel.

I'd be very interested in the data you put together as I will be starting to work on an E85 Tune for my '91 SC. I was thinking a 50/50 mix as well. (looking for 97 octane mixed).

I'm going to be using the SCT stuff as i already have it on my laptop.

Any insights you would care to share would be greatly appreciated!!!

Plan on needing a lot of injector for E85. you're fuel needs will be much higher for any given HP level than if you had regular fuel.

My buddy has a tweecer on his stang and the cal edit software does have a m2y calibration file. Its very limited to the content and the sctunet.net software has many more decoded values. I use that software for the past 3 years, and I feel I know both programs inside and out. I'd use that since its in the same format as the tweecer anyways.

Update!

Hey all, sorry for the delay in updating. I smashed the ~~~~~ out of my left index finger last week and couldn't do any work on the car and typing kinda hurt. Typing at work was bad enough.

Anyway, I did get a Tweecer RT. It's in the car with a W1M (GSALC strategy). I've gotten the car to run, but not fine tuned yet. There's so many more things in Caledit than the EEC Tuner software that I think I made a couple mistakes. Haveta hunt them down. Mike G. did reply to me the other day that the GSALI (M2Y) strategy has more things defined that the W1M. So I'll probably swap back to that PCM as well. I had the SC Tuner software when Spiro was working on it with Rich Thompson. But he got hard to find after awhile and I had to reload my laptop, so I don't have it anymore. Not paying $$$ for it when Caledit came with the Tweecer. The latest version of Caledit has more 'stuff' for more strategies/PCM codes. So we'll see.

One really nice feature of the Tweecer is a 4 position switch + off. So I can have a E85 mix tune, 93 pump gas tune and 110 race fuel tune in it all at once. Turn the knob, 1 sec later the other tune takes effect. Played around with it switching from the 1 tune I put in it and the stock settings the other night. Haven't made multiple tunes yet though. It blew a hole through the rusted muffler on the first test run, so I want to get that fixed as it's annoyingly droning right now.

For the 50/50 E85 mix, I'm planning on running a 10-10.5:1 AFR. Car Craft recently did a writeup on straight E85 and what they made best power with. So I'm sorta basing it off that article and that I'd run on a 12.5:1 tune with 93 pump gas the last couple years. So shooting for halfway between the 12.5 gas and 8:1 E85 requirement. I guess now I haveta get my LM1 fixed.....

Steve

Oh.. and capacity isn't a problem for me anyway. 255 lph forced induction pump and Accel 48# injectors running at 50psi (about 52#-53# at that pressure).

If it's at 100% and left to sit, yes, it eventually would. But 'regular' gasoline is up to 15% ethanol already and just about every car made since 1985 can handle 15% with no problem. I'm upping that to 50%. So it'll be half as corrosive to the plain steel parts in the fuel system. Which I think is just the pickup assembly and lines from the tank to filter unless they're nylon plastic

I have a new pickup assembly and plan on changing the lines in the not to distant future anyway. So we'll see how it looks after a year or so. It's not like it'll start leaking tomorrow because it has E85 in it.

Oh.. one side effect... it smells like a dirt modified or late model on alky. :)

TimG, this is Ethanol, not Methanol. There is a HUGE difference in the fuels.

Steve BlackBird, LM1 won't read rich enough for Ethanol. How much power are you planning on making with E85, 48's may not be enough.

Steve BlackBird, LM1 won't read rich enough for Ethanol. How much power are you planning on making with E85, 48's may not be enough.

I've actually been running up to a 50% 87 gas and 50% E85 mix with the 12.5:1 WOT AFR without issue for about 5 tankfuls. I started at 80% 89 gas and 20% E85. Theoretically, that's 92 octane. Each tank I added more E85. Sheetz probably thought I was crazy as I'd pull to the E85 pump, then flip right around to the gas pump.

I've had the LM1 reading around 10:1 in the past. I think I'd even seen 9.something on it. So I should be good for the mix I plan on running.

Pulled out the Car Craft article (Nov.2006 magazine starting on page 62 for anyone that cares).

They have E85 as Stoichiometric of 9.7:1 versus 14.7:1 for gas.
Max Power Lean is 8.4 vs 13.2
Max Power Rich is 6.9 vs 12.5

So, running straight E85 would mean somewhere around 50-70% more fuel. However, since I'm going to run a 50/50 mix or somewhere there abouts, I should get by with a 10:1 WOT AFR. Add all the numbers above, divide by 4, ya get 10.25, yes it's crude, but it's all trial and error anyway.

As for fuel delivery, I think I'll be fine. 50# injectors are good for 500-525HP in a 6 cyl on gas. Even taking 30% off that for additional flow will support 350. So if I see the duty cycle or delivery problems, I'll just turn the fuel pressure up 5psi. Neil Frisbee ran something like 80psi through the stock rails and stock injectors years ago before anything was available for SCs.

We shall see....

Back