Performance Parts After Basic Bolt-ons

SRT-4

I'm looking for the people with tons of mods to chime in, after the basic bolt-ons (MPIII/MPX,TB's FMIC's, Exhaust,OD on the blower ect ect) Where do you look next? Heads? I was looking at the Coy Miller heads and :eek: they are not cheap. I know that the IM can be ported at the plenum and at each runner. so people that have done the big mods please chime in and help me weed out what works and what doesnt work.

Without a doubt heads and cam..Just need to ask yoursel fhow much do you wantto spend on those heads....Hwo much power do you wantto make

I'm looking for the people with tons of mods to chime in, after the basic bolt-ons (MPIII/MPX,TB's FMIC's, Exhaust,OD on the blower ect ect) Where do you look next? Heads? I was looking at the Coy Miller heads and :eek: they are not cheap. I know that the IM can be ported at the plenum and at each runner. so people that have done the big mods please chime in and help me weed out what works and what doesnt work.

I have every mod you can hang on the outside of the engine including some only a few have and I couldnt get to the magic 300 RWHP. If you want to run serious HP you have to have a performance cam & heads. At this stage for me I am waiting to get some good heads on and head back to the dyno. Than drive the car and enjoy it while I work on a serious short block. My new heads should get me over the 300 HP mark but these days that isnt as impressive as it use to be. Looking at all the mods your talking about, I can tell you that you wont be satisfied with the performace & bragging rights untill you get into the internals.

Ken

Shoot i just want to be able to hang with my buddies 1997 M3. That car leaves me on the freeway like i'm standing still. and it's only packing 230hp. I'd like to know how to get the magig 250 RWHP with bolt-ons.

300 is like a dream to me. Do you need beefier heads? couldn't a port and polish help at all?

Heads/Cam. I hope you have been addressing your fuel system. Don't forget a good tune.

- XR7 Dave (Affordable stuff, waiting list :p *we need a clone of XR7 Dave*)
- www.supersixmotorsports.com (Still affordable)
- www.moranav6racing.com (A little higher)
- www.coymiller.com (Bend over)
- An unknown is Victor (spinningwheels-sc.com) heads. There have been coming out for a couple months now. I assume they will be affordable.

Curtis,

Heads, custom cam, more fuel and a SCT tune are the next steps, and they need to be done at the same time. You can get heads and cam from a variety of other places besides Coy Miller like SuperSix, Morana, Delk Performance....but if it were me, I'd e-mail Dave Dalke.

David

Thanks David, I talked to Dave with SCU and right now we have a good combo (The "cam package" is in my den) and he helped me get all the parts to work together. I do have a 255 pump and 50lb injectors
so I'm looking to do this first tune with my OD'ed MPX+("light" almost no headwork)+ cam + the Chip & some N20

But I'm going to have an extra engine that I wanna just go balls-out with. but I need to finish the little things on my current engine first, I'm still on stock exhaust and IC. I know the exhaust needs attention ASAP (I'm prob going to use the stock manifolds and run 3 inch all the way back because I dont care what it sounds like, heck if it sounds like crap that might just help me when I try and run people on the street) and the N20 will cool down all that hot air comming from the IC

Last edited:
Thanks David, I talked to Dave with SCU and right now we have a good combo (The "cam package" is in my den) and he helped me get all the parts to work together. I do have a 255 pump and 50lb injectors
so I'm looking to do this first tune with my OD'ed MPX+("light" almost no headwork)+ cam + the Chip & some N20

But I'm going to have an extra engine that I wanna just go balls-out with. but I need to finish the little things on my current engine first, I'm still on stock exhaust and IC. I know the exhaust needs attention ASAP (I'm prob going to use the stock manifolds and run 3 inch all the way back because I dont care what it sounds like, heck if it sounds like crap that might just help me when I try and run people on the street) and the N20 will cool down all that hot air comming from the IC

You should rethink some of those plans. First the stock exhaust manifold collector is about 13/4". Ported they can get about 2" Running a 3" exhaust might be great on a 460CI motor but is way over kill. Not to mention running all that huge tubeing under a SC. I have headers with 21/2" collectors, 21/2" mandrel bent down tubes in to a resonator and 3" single back to the diff, split again to 21/2" tail pipes and mufflers. That would be considered a big exhaust on the SC. Second the stock ICs problem is not only a lack of efficient removing heat. It just doesnt flow well due to a small core and poor design of the end tanks. Getting a good blower and trying to push a lot of air through a stock IC just doesnt cut it. You have to size everything to fit

Ken

Back