Car on a Trailer

Nettlesd

Are there any issues with storing a car on a trailer for an extended amount of time? Could I store the trailer inside the garage with the SC on it without any ill effects?

Quick question....

Are there any issues with storing a car on a trailer for an extended amount of time?

Not that I have any idea of what the answer might be, but are you concerned about something happening to the SC, or the trailer its sitting on?
You might want to put the trailer on some sort of jackstands or blocks to keep the weight off the tires. Probably not a bad idea for the car either, but I don't know how you would do that with it on the trailer......

I'm more concerned about the trailer sitting there with a big heavy SC on it for months on end.

Flat spots on the tires is my main concern. You can always ue jackstands unde rthe trailer if it isnt going to be moved

The further off the ground a car is stored the better. It allows better air circulation around the car and inhibits mold rust and corrosion. Its better if you can take the weight off all the tires on the car and trailer.

Depends on the suspension. If it's a torsion bar, it depends on the quality. I'd lift the trailer onto some stands on it's frame rails. But otherwise it should be fine.

Mike,

So it's best to place the car and trailer on jack stands while in the garage? That's the best scenario but just leaving the car on the trailer while parked in the garage should be fine if the trailer is well built?

The two major issues are flatspoting the tires and not storeing a vehicle close to the ground to avoid moisture. Springs and torsion suspensions are designed to hold a specific weight almost indefinitely. Enviormental factors are your major concern.

I wouldnt. Flatspots on trailer tires, and general pain in the rear messing with a car when its sitting on one. Putting a trailer up off its wheels with a car on it doesnt sound too fun either. :)

you won't flat spot radial trailer tires. To be honest, unless you're really worried I'd just store it and leave it. Depending on how much you used it last year, I'd just make sure to repack the bearings on the trailer come the new season.

Duane, why sweat it, it'll all be fine anyways. You'll worry about the trailer and storage and the stupid garage will burn down around it. You did finish off that gasoline jug at the track didn't you? If not you might want to take one more swig before you store it.;)

I only mentioned it because im in the process of bringing back a 16 foot car hauler that sat for about 1.5 years loaded and the tires are wobbly trash. Two of them blew out immediately after moving it. The other two will not balance and shake pretty bad no matter which axle I tried them on. They are radial trailer tires.. :)

Generally bias ply tires are notorious for flat spots by design and do not have to sit long at all to get them....As a matter of fact all you need to do is some enthusiastic driving..Let it sit for awhile and waaallahh. This is due to the nature of the tire getting really hot from use (its what they do) then letting the car sit as the tires cool. A radial tire doesnt have these issues because of the radial design.

This is not to say a radial tires will not develope a flat spot from sitting for long periods of time because they will. But not for the main reasons bias ply tires are known for and not to that same extent

My suggestion is to take the tires off the rims of the trailer and store it like that. Cant get any flat spots that way:rolleyes: If this is the SC you put the rubberized coating in the engine to quite it down than you dont have to worry about flat spots on the cars tires;) Your not going to be butt dynoing it in the future so you can send that nice battery and bracket up here to Omaha,:D heck I'll pay the freight. That way your not letting anything go to waste

Ken

Back