Is there a wastegate(boost control)on an SC?

Kit Sullivan

I know this sounds like a simple question, but is there a system that limits the maximum boost on a stock SC? Something like a wastegate on a turbo car?
Or, does the system just make an absolute maximum amount of boost and let it rip?
Here's why I ask: I assume there is some sort of boost-limiting device, and if so, how does adding an underdrive pully increase boost? Wouldn't the 'wastegate'(or whatever) just kick in and bleed of the excess boost, keeping it at the pre-set maximum? If so, I can see that maybe the system would build to max boost quicker with an underdrive pully, increasing low-end torque...but I can't see it exceeding the pre-set maximum.

Someone give me straight skinny here!

No boost limiting device, this is not a turbo. The only limiting the device is the the supercharger that you put on it. It does have a bypass valve that vents the unused boost into the intake track when you let off the gas. Like a BOV.

Well now, I guess it all makes sense then! If there are one or a few small leaks in the intake system, will that have the effct to reduce net boost?
I can see that in a vacuum situation, it would not be noticeable and the natural vacuum would tend to 'seal up' any lose hose anyway.
But under boost wouldn't these small leaks easily bleed off boost, limiting the effects?
Is this in fact a real problem that happens or am I just being anal retentive? And if so, is there an easy way to check for these leaks under pressure?

Any leaks will have a negative impact on general engine performance causing the engine computer to think more air is entering the engine than actually is. this is due to how the EEC-IV in our cars works.

There is a Mass Airflow Sensor that monitors the amount of air entering the engine. This sensor is mounted ahead of the throttle plates. Thus any air leaking out of the engine or intake pipes entered the engine by passing the MAF and being measured.

So any kind of leak is bad.

Back