Hard Brake Pedal AFTER power conversion

None2Slow

I have converted my 92 SC over to conventional power brakes and I am having the same problem I had when the ABS was in. I had a hard pedal that would barely stop the car. After posting here, I was told that it was either the accumulator ball or the ABS unit. After checking prices (Acc. Ball $120, ABS assy $700) it wasn't a hard decision. I installed the new ball and still had a hard pedal even after letting it pump up. I sure wasn't going to drop the money on the ABS assy, so I did the swap. Just finished it up Friday night and took it for a Drive on Saturday. I still have a hard pedal. If I press gently on the pedal, it will apply the brakes with an almost feel. Can you give me some Ideas of where to look to fix this? Info about the swap- Booster from 90LX bird, MC from a 97 CV (Ex.Service vehicle) and I swapped out the Booster Push rod with a 1/4x3/4x1 bolt that I ground down and fit perfectly. Bled all four wheels starting from the rear pass., Rear driver, then Pass front and Driver front. Got all nice clean fluid and looks like all air is out. May try again Sunday just to make sure, but any Ideas you have will be appreciated.

Yeah with the proper conversion parts, your pedal should be so spongy that you wonder if the brakes will ever apply, then they do. 93 Crown vic without ABS and without the police package is the master cylinder that you want.

Thanks guys, I have read that. This statement is what made me think you could use the Police MC.

We looked at bore and stroke sizes, and the 1993 Crown Victoria, (ex police car) had the same bore and stroke master cylinder on it, as well as a front/rear braking system, 'cause its also a rear wheel drive car. I had to use the lowline T-bird booster though, because it is only about 3 inches thick. The Crown Vic booster was substantially thicker, and if you tried to bolt it to the firewall, then bolt the master cylinder to it, it would hit the inner wheelhousing on my Super Coupe, because of the strut type suspension. So,,,,, use the NON-ABS booster from a '89 T-bird, and the master cylinder from the 1993 Crown Victoria police car. John V.O.

I got all the parts for free as a friend of my Dads owns a yard. This was the oldest CV they had. As for 97 having ABS or not, my 98 CV doesn't have ABS. I will look at getting a different MC and see if the fixes it.

I have been working on cars for over 20 years and I am positive it doesn't have ABS. I know what to look for and I can also lock up the brakes. Plus, there is no ABS light coming on at start up. Its an LX model which is pretty much base model. For being a newer car, this car is very simple to work on. There is nothing under the hood to get in the way when working on it. I have more room under here then I do in my 63 Convertible Valiant. I wish all new cars were this simple.

Does anybody have a part number for the MC that needs to be used and where they got it at? I would appreciate it.

I would like to see that. I'm not saying that you don't know what you are talking about, far from it, but I would like to see a newer vehicle without ABS.

In 1998 ABS was still optional on the 98 Crown Vic, but the master cylinder is still not the same as a 93.

Autozone has the 92-93 Crown vic MC and reservoir for like $40 brand new. Order it for non- ABS. use the 89-92 booster from a tbird N/A. That's what I used and it works great. Any other questions on this swap, feel free to email me or ask on this thread. I know a few of the pioneers of this swap aren't on here much if at all anymore so it's kinda hard to question their techniques. I know j.v.o confused some of us about the police interceptor MC. Just to clear it up: No police interceptor MC units will work.

Last edited:
K i just finished my abs to conventional brake conversion 2 weeks ago and i used a 90 base model t-bird not the lx and a 93 crown victoria master, not the police interceptor package, and they are working perfectly fine, just routed the lines and T-ed the fronts, used stock porporioning valve on the car already, so i dont know, u may have the wrong parts, u can always try adjusting the push rod on the booster an see if it helps, or mabye u have a clogged flex hose or seized calipers

all i can say is that those parts i used worked and if anyone else is doing a conversion, use those parts, just remember u might need a friend to help u put the booster in, its a little tricky!

Last edited:
Back