Drove an automatic 94 SC.. what a slushbox

Scott Long

My friend has a 94 auto. I drove it the other day, and its quick off the line spooling to like 13 psi with ease, but when 1st gear runs out, it took forever to shift to 2nd. Manually shifting it, it was worse, it felt like the tranny was just slipping clutches.

What kind of shift kits are available for these cars? I told him that his car would be really quick if it could shift fast enough to break traction on the 1-2. It felt quicker than my 90 SC AOD but if we raced, I'd school him, but then again I'm not stock. He might take me off the line cuz I still have 3.27's, but I know with his lagging shifts I'd walk him in the 1/4.

You'll wanna go to the TCCoA and go to the tech section look at the articles dealing with the "jerry mod"

I've read that before, but where do you get the upgrade parts he mentions, that what has me stumped. I told my friend I'd help him mod the car. I think it has a lot of potential once we can get the thing to shift right. It has a rebuilt trans, so I will assume its good, its not even a year old. I've never driven another late model auto but I hear they are all like that stock.

I agree they are a slushbox to start with. I have a 95lx 4.6. I modified my transmission with a friend who has the same car as I. You get all the parts from ford, and I beleive you can buy the drilled valve body plate from Jerry. The work is not hard, it is just very time consuming. It took us about six hours to do each car in his driveway with the cars on two jackstands. The result is a very firm shift, and an overall better driving experience. Under WOT it is very firm, it will chrip the tires, but under regular driving conditions it just feels fast, not hard.

You need to either drill holes in your valve body seperator plate, or pay Jerry 30 dollars to drill one for you. Also, you need about 100 bucks in parts from the Ford dealer (springs, pistons, tranny pans, etc)
The info is in the jerry thesis on tccoa.

Also, you will want mercon v fluid (about 35 bucks a quart), and a transmission cooler (50 bucks at summit).

Justin

I agree with the LX being a slushbox.........as far as the 94 SC goes, yes the 1-2 shift takes long, however that is quickly solved by adding Lentec or a Transgo shift kit.

The lentec uses a totally different valve body if i'm not mistaken. I have the transgo in my 95 SC and it's set on firm, the shift from 1-2 is very quick, trust me.

Have your friend add a shift kit on the 94 SC and he will not regret it.

Back