Not a Big Deal but what is the Concensus on Thermostats?

bbird94

Hey guys,

I am working on the intake manifold and thought it may be a good idea t change the thermostat while I have it off. I have a 165f in there now but I think it really doesn't give much help, do I really need that compared to the 190f stock? What does a 165f do for me and what does it hurt? Would you guys just go with stock replacement with just a mildly modded car?!

Let me know what you think and thanks for your time?

Later,
Brandon

from what I've read, 180 is as cold as you want to go without "a tune" for the EEC. It will likely run rich otherwise.

Brandon,

Going to a cooler t-stat doesn't help much unless you are also able to turn the fan on sooner. That can be done with a chip or with a pair of adjustable controllers and some relays. I use a 180 all year round.

David

I have the low-speed fan mod on my car, and I will be putting in a 180* t-stat the next time I have to pull the housing off.

Brandon,

Going to a cooler t-stat doesn't help much unless you are also able to turn the fan on sooner. That can be done with a chip or with a pair of adjustable controllers and some relays. I use a 180 all year round.

David

I use a 180° as well. Keep in mind that you don't want the thermostat open all the time. Remember that a big part of the cooling process involves leaving the water in the radiator long enough to cool before it circulates back into the engine.

Ira

Setting a tune up for 160 degree water temperature will give you more HP allowing more timing to come into play. It wouldn't be warm enough for the winter to have effective heating though, inside the cabin.

I am running a 180 in all three of my cars. Coolant is 25% E/G, 75% distilled water, and one bottle of WaterWetter. No cooling problems to date in the S. Texas summertime weather.

JD

PS: Might want to check the lo-temp protection of the 25% E/G blend before using in centeral IL. - JD

Back