General Engine Bay Cleaner?!

bbird94

Hey guys,

What have you guys heard of or used for cleaning your engine bay? I am really asking because I am looking for something that I can find that doesn't harm any electronics if I let it get around too much!!

Later,
Brandon

The best cleaner I've used comes in a black spray can and says "steam" up the side. I think it's a Gumout product, but i'm not positive. You can actually spray it on a pretty warm motor and it does a killer job eating through the grime, yet i never say any adverse effects. Maybe a little white-ish residue here or there. Fumes are horrid, however. I haven't been able to find it for quite some time in my one horse town, but when I lived in the twin cities it was readily available.
Good luck, man

I've been using 'Purple Power' for years. Mix it 1/1 with water...any stronger and it will dull the finishes under your hood. I know, I found out the hard way.
But it cleans great, and leaves no residue if properly diluted.

When I used to detail cars we would use a heavy duty degreaser .. spray it on everything ( except the fuse box, and the alternator .. any exposed electrical, etc .. ) then rinse it all down. While it was still wet we sprayed it down with a 50/50 tire dressing / water and closed the hood. When it was opened again, it looked like a brand new shiny engine.

But yeah, I use Dish soap and elbow grease when I clean my engine. Dawn works great. :cool:

- Dan

Simple Green

I used Simple Green and a garden hose on the car on my member page. But, it wasn't very greasy to start with. Mostly storage dust, etc. On my titanium car, I used some discount store engine degreaser and a parts cleaning brush while the heads were off, and rinsed with a garden hose. Followed up with Simple Green, and it came out decent. I have photos of the finished product on that car somewhere in my past posts.

JD

Good Engine Cleaner

I detail cars for a living and we use a citruis orange cleaner, you can find it any where but if you cant find it I can help you with getting some through my supplyer. I can get it at my cost and you pay shipping hows that,And that goes to any body who needs to know what to use I been detailing since I was 15 years old and now Im 35.:) :D

I have used Gunk Engine Brite for years 2 or 3 cans and the local HIGH pressure car wash. I even use it on engine blocks going to the machine shop. If that wont take the grease off use Purple Power full strength. A parts brush also helps. Been detailing cars at a used car dealer for 25 years it has always worked for me. Just try to not drown the electrical stuff.

Back