gears????

shotbirdsc

I have a 92 5speed -- I changed the gears to 3.27's last year but I don't like them 1st gear I hardly ever use. My question has anyone tried 3.08's if so how do you like them? Any information is greatly appreciated.
Eric

I don't have 3.08's but I have 3.27's and I do not care for them either. I've never driven a 5 speed SC with stock gears but in my car 1st gear is so damn short.

Assclown--Do you like the gears? Did you have 3.27's before? I wanted to go back to 2.73's but I think that I want something a little more aggressive.

i dont understand is it just that your 1st gear is short or you didnt like the way the 3.27 act as far as a lot of tire spin or them being to aggressive what is your beef with the 3.27 i have them in my 94 and i love them a lot of bang for the buck dropped .2 sec with them right off the back lot more time dropped when i started feathering out my clutch i think you may want to play with the way you launch and see if that helps

I don't take my car to the drag strips its basically just a Sunday driver type car. My big problem I guess is because I am used to driving my sho around which has long gears and the tbirds are so short(since I have changed them)--I have found myself shifting in the red too often because it gets there too fast! I think that the 3.08's would still give me a little more aggressive feel just a little relaxed.

I just don't like manual transmissions in general. I hated the automatic transmission in my '89 and this is why I bought a standard. My '91 barely spins tire, although I don't really know how to launch it correctly (any pointers). I just don't like how short 1st gear is. If I try and leave some Goodyear on the pavement the damn car just takes off and its time to shift within seconds. Not to mention if it actually burns rubber the revs jump way up and I have to shift even faster and then it catches traction and bogs down. I usually don't try to burn rubber but every once and a while I feel the urge. Most of the time the car only see 5psi boost, maybe 7-8psi. Never seen WOT since I have had it and never been over 3500 rpms. I'm a little paranoid after what happened to my '89 and the fact that I didn't really beat on it at all in the 400 miles I had it.

ok thats understandable thanks for clearing it up but i think a 2.73 to a 3.08 jump will not be felt very much but thats just me

shotbirdsc, what year is your SHO?

I had a '93 MTX and still kick myself in the @ss for selling it. I see it around from time to time and the kid who bought it has had 2 speeding tickets within weeks:

73 in a 55
74 in a 55

Not to mention both times by the same cop :eek:!

I don't usually beat on my cars but that damn SHO just asks for it. I ran that car to redline a number of times. If you have never driven one, they really fly past ~4000rpms where the secondaries open. I miss the sound of the yammahammer :(.

I'm hoping to get another one soon, but around this area its rare to see one at all. I happened to come across that mint '93 (one owner) in January for $2695 with 110K miles. Needless to say it was in the driveway that night.

Good luck with your decision on the gears!

curse said:
i dont understand is it just that your 1st gear is short or you didnt like the way the 3.27 act as far as a lot of tire spin or them being to aggressive what is your beef with the 3.27 i have them in my 94 and i love them a lot of bang for the buck dropped .2 sec with them right off the back lot more time dropped when i started feathering out my clutch i think you may want to play with the way you launch and see if that helps

One thing to remember when discussing the change of axle ratios in a 5-speed car, is that the 94 - 95 trans had a 3.42 first gear ratio, and the 89 - 93 had 3.75, which makes the 1st VERY short in the older car when you step up the axle ratio. I have 3.27 in my 95, and first is a bit steep, but liveable. I don't think I would want that ratio in an 89 - 93 car. Several guys here in the Toronto area with 3.27 gears in older 5 speed cars are considering a reduction to 3.08. My car may eventually get that as well, when it gets some more HP under the hood. For now, I love the way the 3.27 pulls in 5th gear from 75 to 125 mph !! :D

cheers
Ed N.

Dustin--my sho is a 93 MTX as well, I had bought is initially for a winter beater but since the winter I really enjoy driving it around. I have quite a few mods done to my tbird like exhaust, 10% pulley, 70 tb, 75 MAFS, hi rise top, CAI and the 3.27 gears and the sho will stick right with it just a little behind! Not bad for a $3000 car! That 7300 redline almost calls out your name!

With the gears I am going to change to 3.08's and then repost and let you guys know how I like them.(just bought them) Either I am going to waste my time and eventually go back to 2.73's or else enjoy those 3.08's,

If anyone is intersted in 3.27 ring and pinion let me know they only have about 5000 kms(approx 3000 miles) on them. They will be for sale in a couple of weeks I hope.

Thanks fot the offer but I bought a set off ebay for $55 shipped brand new take off's Richmond gears. I will keep you in mind for that pumkin if I still don't like them. What size of speedo gear did you use for the 3.08's?

hummm

i guess i would be intrested in the 3.27s never hurts to have another set how much you want for them?? i did forget about the diffrences in tranny ratios but i see no problem with them in a 94-95 tbird if anything when i get my et drags i want to move up to a higher diff gear

I have 3:08's they are freaking great. Wouldn't trade them for the world. Hated 3:55's hated 3:27's , go with the 3:08

Most of the time the car only see 5psi boost, maybe 7-8psi. Never seen WOT since I have had it and never been over 3500 rpms.

Dustin,

Why did you even bother to mod the car, if your not going to press that gas pedal once in a while ? It's not going to hurt anything to rev the engine to 5000.

David

What speedometer gear do you use for correction if you get the 3.08's?

Are there any good donor cars for the 3.08? This info is really timely, glad to see these impressions. I missed this post before. Expensive operation if you have to do it twice to get the gears you want.

Last edited:
David Neibert said:
Dustin,

Why did you even bother to mod the car, if your not going to press that gas pedal once in a while ? It's not going to hurt anything to rev the engine to 5000.

David

Dave,
The previous owner had installed the different gears. I have sold the '91 SC but once I became comfortable with the car and I realized the head gaskets were not ready to pop, I ran it to redline a few times. As I said, I was a little paranoid after purchasing my '89 SC and having the head gasket go 400 miles later.....not to mention taking a $2K loss on the car.

I do not think that there is a day that my SVX has NOT seen redline (6500) and a corner I could not take at 70mph. Although, the SVX transmission went bad (as all do) and now it only has 1st and 2nd. I knew going in that the transmission could go and the way I drove it helped nothing. So, this makes 3 SVXs in my home town with bad transmissions (all 3 went the same way).

I just got back from picking up my old '93 SHO. The kid I sold it to traded it in dirt cheap on a new Cavalier because the clutch went bad. Now to find someone who can put a clutch in it at a reasonable cost.

That's a very nice looking SVX, BTW. Sharp cars, and I love the interior in them. Not easy to find, saw a couple on Ebay though a while back.

Back