Battery hold down options ?

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
I broke the stock battery hold down on my turbo car and I would like to switch to something that doesn't rely on the stock style block thing and the flimsy bolt and stamped steel nut on the bottom of the tray. I would also like to be able to secure the stock size battery or an Optima.

If anyone has pictures and or info on where I could buy some type of billet bar over the top of the battery style hold down, that would be very helpful.

Thanks, David

I broke the stock battery hold down on my turbo car and I would like to switch to something that doesn't rely on the stock style block thing and the flimsy bolt and stamped steel nut on the bottom of the tray. I would also like to be able to secure the stock size battery or an Optima.

If anyone has pictures and or info on where I could buy some type of billet bar over the top of the battery style hold down, that would be very helpful.

Thanks, David

Dave,

I am putting this on in my car but you get them with anything on them or just plain. You can even get them used if you need. I hate that the the optima is red or yellow. I got a red optima but I may paint the part you see in black. I am trying to keep all of the same colors. Blingin like a Big Bawler.......lol

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...+battery+trays&category0=&submitSearch=Search

Dave check with 'thomas a'. I know that he had made some 'over the top' style holders and was selling them last year.

So since you don't want to use the factory tray anymore, I guess this means you don't want another one of these:

Attachments

• billet-holddown-lg.jpg
    billet-holddown-lg.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 76
So since you don't want to use the factory tray anymore, I guess this means you don't want another one of these:

True...Mainly because I want to get away from that stupid little threaded clip that falls out of the bottom of the battery tray. Since this is the second one I've broken, I've concluded that I'm just too ham handed for such a delicate part.

David

What I do is go to the hardware store and get some threaded rod, six nylon lock nuts, six washers, and some flat steel bar stock.

Put the battery in the spot that you want it and mark a hole to drill on each side of the battery. After you drill the holes, mark off the length of threaded rod you need on each side. Once you have the rod cut then put a nut and washer on one end, feed the rod up through the drilled hole, then run another washer and nut down then tighten it. This keeps the rod from moving. Repeat for the other side of the battery.

Then get the bar stock and measure, from center to center, the distance from the one piece of threaded rod to the other. Add a half inch to each end of the marked off holes to make room for the nut. Cut off the excess, drill the holes, and tighten it down.

Unless you don't want to drill holes in your car. Cost you about $5 and not $80.

Last edited:
David, I got this one off ebay with the ford racing already engraved on it. sorry it is a little dirty and is an old pic of my engine compartment but I used self tapping machine screws into the old tray and it fit perfectly.

Attachments

• PICT0490-fullcrop.jpg
    PICT0490-fullcrop.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 80
Since this is going in the turbo car and it's not real pretty under the hood I don't need anything nice looking, just functional and light. I'll check out autozone and if they don't have anything I like, I'll take Casey's advice and make my own.

Thanks for the input.

David

Back