engine mounts

ShawnSC1

What kind of engine mount should I go with. The solid one or the soft one. Please let me know thanks

Your choice.....the solid ones last a lot longer that why everyone would recommend it, the liquid filled ones gives less of a rough idel, however if you have any mods and you plan to beat on your bird those liquid filled ones will go bad in a hurry.

The solid mounts will tear just as bad as the liquids! The good thing about the solid mounts is the material is still there after they tear and the power steering lines won't get crushed between the oil pan and crossmember as it would if a liquid mount tore and settled. When I bought my '91 SC I had the mounts replaced, I used some cheapo solid mounts I found from a local distributor for $35/each. I think they were Westar Brand but identical to the Sealed Power Solid Mounts. I was in a hurry and didn't have the time to wait for the items to ship from MN12 Performance, and I needed to get the oil filter away from the frame. So far they have held up fine (~1200 miles) and I have my fingers crossed.

great thanks for the info. I will go with the solid ones. If I order from mn12. How long does it take to ship.

Solid mounts

I got my solid motor mounts 3 days after I ordered them. They had very good service.

Jeremy

how do you know your mounts are gone? My oil filter is very close to the frame, but doesn't rub that bad. But is there a good way of knowing if they are gone or not. I cant even see the motor mounts...or how to get to them. How many does our car have...2 or 4? Do i need to drop the tranny to swap em out? or just lift the motor a few inches?

Our cars have two mounts. My mechanic said that on these cars the oil filter is normally close to the frame but it shouldn't be touching it or rubbing it. The job is easy once you have the intercooler tubes and accessory brackets out of the way.

how do you know your mounts are gone?

You will hear and feel a rattle from the front of the car....and it will get worse if it is ignored. I had a slight rattle when I would put the car in drive, and lots of knocking when it was in reverse.

Changed the mounts and it was as smooth as a baby's a$$.

You can also check by opening the hood, placing the car in gear, holding the brake, and goosing the throttle slightly. If the engine raises up 1-2", the mounts are worn out. A second hint is a low vibration when in gear at a stoplight.

I just replaced my liquid filled mounts with solid mounts from SCP. Bill at SCP told me that I would not be able to tell the difference as far as vibration. I beg to differ, but I recognize that I am probably more sensitive to this kind of thing than most of you guys. As an example, I just replaced my dynomax super turbo mufflers with stock mufflers as I found them to be too noisy. The added vibration is not a big problem, but it is noticable to me. Also, they do raise the engine compared to the liquid mounts. This is not just a consequence of the liquid mounts having collapsed (which they did after a year or so). Mt water neck now contacts the underside of the hood. It looks like I can fix this by cutting about 3/4" out of the water neck. I also have a high rise SC outlet (also from SCP) and it just barely rubs the hood. I do not blame that on the taller mounts though.

Solid ONLY

I recently replaced my boogered stock mounts with solid rubber.
My engine made no noise to tell me that one was gone.
It was the power steering line that is between the oil pan and the sub frame that began to leak.
Once I noticed where it was coming from I realized that the mounts were shot.
Turned out that the driver side was thrashed but the passenger side was fine.
Another sign that I did not associate with bad mounts is a grabby clutch.
The clutch is also much better now with the solid mounts.
The solid mounts from NAPA are taller. SCP sells stock height solid mounts.
Performance engine + hydraulic mounts = DUMB!!

Attachments

• boogered2.jpg
    boogered2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 64
if your looking for track only performance, comptition engineering sells a torque link that is removable and provides a solid link between your motor and the strut tower. It costs about $40.

Save your self some bucks and get the mounts from your local Napa dealer. I got my last set from them and didn't notice them to be any different from the ones that NM12 sells.

Back