windows come unglued

ratfink

I was wondering if anyone has ever had there windows come unglued from the plastic that bolts to the window regulators? If so what kind of glue or epoxy did you use to fix them. I have tried gorrilla glue and quik steel but after a couple of months they break again. Spring is almost here and working window would be nice.

You definitely do need a high-strength epoxy. It would help also to replace worn felts on the window guides and seals, or at least keep them lubed with silicone (pure, not containing petroleum distillates).

I recently fixed this with NAPA's "Plastic Welding System". I tried to get the 3M stuff, but NOBODY in my area had it. Surface prep is very important. I took the clips off the regulator, cleaned the clips very well, cleaned the glass and scuffed it with some sandpaper, glued, and let it set for several hours. Then I reinstalled the window, clips and all. It's working well so far. I will update if it breaks.

Windshield urathane would work, but might get messy as its very sticky. Anyone know where to get the felt?

I used some kind of 3M window/windshield epoxy. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I know that I got it at Napa. It's in a two-tubed cartridge that is supposed to have a gun with it, but I just used something to squeeze it out and mix it up. It's held for two years;now I just need to get my passenger window to go UP without hanging. I believe the worn off felt is to blame for that. :rolleyes:

Just make sure that you clean both surfaces very well, like S_Mazza said- without that, you might as well use Elmer's....

I used jb weld and it's still holding 2 years later.I actually sanded the glass where the plastic pieces attached then used acetone to make sure it was clean and stuck the jb weld and brackets on the window and then let it sit overnight.It's been good to go so far.

Jay

Update - the "Plastic Welding System" failed. Well, it was good for a week, anyway. I'm just going to have the body shop fix it (I have to take the car in anyway because some lady spun out in the snow and hit me. 3rd not-at-fault accident in 2 years.)

Back