mazda.ranger tranny

I see rebuild kits for the F150 trans on eBay quite frequently and for tempting prices. What percentage of the parts will fit our trans? Some, most, all?

I've looked into this the sc m5r2 has different syncs I was told by southern gear the syncs are not interchangeable also the sc is built way stronger. but i would thing the cases are the same just different internals

I have seen the M5R2 in a "melted" brick f-150...

If our M5R2 is built a lot better...I wanna know why ours is built with fiber synchros and blockers...where as the trucks were built with brass blockers and synchros...to me brass is a hell of a lot better than fiber...

Higher Friction CoEfficient...

Since the SC was meant as a road car, the engineers needed a trans that could handle the torque capacity of the engine (the mustang one supposedly didn't make the cut) so the engineers turned to the Truck transmission. But in order to acheive quick-flick shifts that one would expect from a road car, rather than the long drawn out and deliberate throws of a truck, they switched to the fiber blocker rings.

It works sort of like an fiber brake pad against a metal brake disk each time you move the shifter. If the brass blockers were standard on the SC, they would have lasted longer, but how well does a metal brake pad work against a metal brake disk?

Drivers who have converted the brass blocker rings over the SC have reported Gear crunching in 1st and 2nd gears when speed shifting. A fresh set of Fiber blocker rings allows the driver to complete this task with no noise. Problem is they wear out in about 30,000-50,000 miles.

not only that, but rebuilding an M5R2 for an SC is getting harder and harder to do with fiber...there was a post here a while back that showed how to make an M5R2 rebuilt with brass to shift like an M5R2 with fiber. something with cutting every other tooth on the blocker.

Trans

Well.............with the new crop of transmissions.....it maybe time to establish the required parts for a T-56 swap, etc.

Rebuilding the M5R2 may require having to combine parts from more than one application/product line.

Personally speaking, I'd lean towards a more versital trans and more gears.

just a little FYI the Ranger granny is M5R1 only the F-150 is M5R2. Needless to say I think the tranny in my ranger is 100% less notchy than the rebuilt one with brass blockers in my 90sc.

Well.............with the new crop of transmissions.....it maybe time to establish the required parts for a T-56 swap, etc.

Rebuilding the M5R2 may require having to combine parts from more than one application/product line.

Personally speaking, I'd lean towards a more versital trans and more gears.

That is true... i have seen a bellhousing for a 5.0 to bolt up to a t56...i cant remember what magazine I've seen it in...but you would still need to make a shifter extension...different input shaft, different tail yoke, and longer driveshaft...expensive in the beginning, but in the long haul it would be worth it.

Back