93 with rattle pop sound

scbird1

My old 93 is tired but I have put so much into it. About 3 months ago I changed both struts, rear shocks,upper and lower CA`s, tierod ends, outer strut arm bushings inners looked good. I jack it up and nothing is loose all. wheel berings have been replaced and it still sounds like its falling apart under the front over bumps. Now I checked the frame to unibody bolts. Cant turn them. There is some rust under the car from Chicago winters and salt but this is driving me nuts. When driving slow and you crank the wheel from side to side you hear a pop. It seems like there is a bolt very loose on something. The rack seems tight but the car has about 150k. I thought I knew these cars like the back of my hand after 10 of them. Can anyone think of something I missed or could replace? Mark

Check this

I had the same situation with my 95. Check the strut rods that go from the LCA to the forward frame connection. My kept coming loose because I ran out of threads when I tightened them and I simply installed a very thick washer and it has never come lose again.

Just something to try.;)

Smitty

Thats about the only thing I didnt replace but I will give it a try. Thanks

if your are getting a poping noise its a ball joint (most likely lower) or thos bushing.

your car seem to pull at all like when hitting the3 brakes, to giving it gas. cuz when my bushings were worn out when hitting the brakes the car would pulll and when taking off fast seemed like it was pulling side ways put the new bushings in and havnt had any probs sence.

Also check the stabilizer bar end links. Mine are making a lot of noise now, since I replaced upper and lower control arms with new ball joints. I just got the end links and hope to get them in this weekend.

if your are getting a poping noise its a ball joint (most likely lower) or thos bushing.

your car seem to pull at all like when hitting the3 brakes, to giving it gas. cuz when my bushings were worn out when hitting the brakes the car would pulll and when taking off fast seemed like it was pulling side ways put the new bushings in and havnt had any probs sence.

CA is short for control arm= upper and lower ball joints.
Every joint is new but the foward strut arm bushings and stabilizer bushings. Thats why I replaced them as they were a little worn but did nothing to get rid of noise.

Ok another day and 60.00 down and I still have the sound of running over a sheet of plywood when I hit bumps at any speed. The new bushings look good though:rolleyes:

Attachments

• dfgdf.JPG
    dfgdf.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 61
  • DVC00017.JPG
    DVC00017.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 64
  • DVC00018.JPG
    DVC00018.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 36
  • DVC00020.JPG
    DVC00020.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 54
beat the piss out of it until something snaps or a wheel falls off...just kidding, wish i could add something constructive....Mount a small camera under there on a drive; see if you see anything moving.

My suggestion isn't likely, but could it be something other than the suspension/steering. Motor mounts, so the motor is bouncing off the cross member over bumps? radiator loose and rattling against its mounts; something along those lines

Did you replace the end links as well?

Sway bar end links? No thats the only thing besides the rack that I havent changed. They were nice and tight when I had everthing apart. I beat on everything under the car and all is tight. I need a front end allinement so I will see if they can figure it out. Its realy hard because it will only make noise when all 4 tires are on the ground and there is now way I can see under the car unless its jacked up. When its on a rack, that will tell the tail.

The end links will be tight when the wheels are off of the ground, you need to check them with the frt. end on the ground.

I took the one off the sway bar drivers side and there seems to be a little play in it now so I put the tire back on let it down, jumped on the front end no sound so now im looking at prices for this little crappy link to the tune of $45.00 dollars each for some welded smaller then tierod ends peice of poo. You know if you bought a new SC from just parts it would cost you well over $100,000.00 if all the parts were available. Sorry about the rant and pass me another MGD. Off to the parts store I go (tomarrow). They do know me on a first name basis at any parts stores in the area. How sad is that:rolleyes: Thanks for all the replies. I can always count on you guys. Thanks

Thanks for the link. I called around and found some for $26 each from Carquest. They also had Moog for 45. Ill put them on tonight and keep my fingers crossed.

I think the TRW ones I got at Advance were like $36 a piece or something like that. I hope those do the trick for ya.

up date

Well got the new links on and the pop sound is gone but I still have that little rattle under the front. It sounds like a bad wheel bearing and only makes the noise on bumps as the wheel bounces. I cant feel it in the wheel but it has the beater rattle sound. Has anyone had a rack go bad to where it made noise? Not much left to replace but the car:eek:

Maybe it really is the wheel bearing.

Hope you find it soon. From the rest of this thread, it really does sound like everything else has been replaced already!

By the way, if you have the Moog strut rod bushings on there, you may want to check them again, since so many people have had problems with them.

I dont know who these are. They are lite blue? There is no play at all in the wheel bearings that I can tell. I was kicking the tires again just to hear some noise but nothing.

Back