What's my maximum boost?

syphon

Out of curiosity, whats the maximum amount of boost I should be getting out of my stock 90 Auto SC.

The highest the guage ever gets is around 8 or 8.5 psi... but people all talk about getting 12 or 13 psi.

min eis still stock as well , and i have never gotten higher then 9, the people who get the 12's and 13's have usuallly changed their pulley and other things as well.

In both my 89 and 95 SC's, when they were stock they were more than 10/11 psi at WOT.

On the bright side you don't have to worry about too much back pressure :D

You should have at least 10psi stock. If you don't then you you might have a (or several) boost leaks. It could be many of the vacuum lines, any connection after the supercharger. The bypass valve not closing properly/sticking/worn out.

Keep in mind that just because it doesn't leak at idle doesn't mean that it doesn't leak under boost. A test for vacuum leaks will not uncover a boost leak.

Jeff

Mine gets about 11-12psi with intake and flowmaster exhaust I'll let you know what changing to high flows does to the boost.

( I know my sig says early style pulley and high flows and stuff but I haven't installed em yet ;) waiting for the tranny to break in)

Last edited:
AsScLoWn said:
boost #s mean nothing when you actually get down to it(comparing from one car to another)

Right... but I wanted to see if this was indicitive of a problem. Someone mentioned a vacuum leak when under boost (would that make it a boost leak?) So that's something I might want to get checked out.

Vaccuum and boost are in the same line, just at different points in time (depending on throttle position, etc.) the engine will be under vaccuum OR boost. BTW I am getting about 10-12 at WOT, and I just have a K/N cone and a flowmaster. Steve

YOW

For acceleration from a dead stop at wot i get no more than 12--- But going faster at about 60-- and then flooring it, ive hit 15 when it shifts into OD for a second-- and my boost gauge sits about 1 PSI to the LEFT of "0" when the car is off--- My 95 SC is STOCK except for K&N----- so i dont know what hell to think--
Damon 95 SC
www.cardomain.com/id/frozenrope

Seeing as I've got my engine in a ranger I had to ad a boost gauge, so I got a VDO w/ both vac (up to 30) and boost (up to 20). My boost level at WOT will only go up to 11 or 12 no matter whether I have a running start or not. Steve

Boost is a measure of back pressure.

Currently I have a stock 95-5-speed. In the summer time I've hit about 12psi on the very ragged edge. About 4500rpm in second gear.

However, in the wintertime when the intercooler is working, I've just about pegged the guage it shows almost 14 psi.

Your lower boost #'s could also indicate that the previous onwer upgraded the exahust, which will reduce pressure but increase flow. And thus there will be a lower boost pressure.

boost

I get about 11-12 psi at WOT, but unless the pedal is pegged, and i wait till around 3 or 4 grand, i never see those numbers, usually more like 8-10. I have a ported blower, ported it myself (hopefully didnt screw it up), and ported manifolds (at the collectors). Temporarily i have the stock exhaust back on. I put my stock pulley back on temporarily too. Should i bee seeing higher boost, or maybe i ported my blower too big? Just wondering whats up. Thanks for any help.

Kyle

This is gonna be a stupid question, but if one doesn't ask the stupid questions, one never learns.

What's WOT? I'm guessing it means something like "maximum" or at redline or something... but I cant guess what WOT stands for.

Back