View Full Version : A few questions

03-21-2007, 08:06 PM
I posted this under my "Hi I'm new here thread" but figured maybe I got no answers to it due to it being in the wrong forum so I am trying here:

Purchased entire supercoupe, and sold the previously purchased supercoupe set up.

I will be swapping in the ENTIRE engine. Have a few ?'s tho.

1) Have been told that the supercoupes ac is upside down compared to the mustangs. Can I use the mustangs ac w/the sc's pulley? If so how hard is the swap?

2) I remember reading somewhere here (i think) that the throt. cable will have to be modified for the cruise control to work. Or maybe it was the bracket... can I get a definate confirmation as well as some type of example as to how the bracket is to be modified. (pix work best... GOOD PIX PLS)

3) I have a cam w/the following specs:

Intake and exhaust:
lobe center sep 111.7 cam deg Valve overlap -8.2 crank deg

Valve opening -2.1 btdc Lobe center 108.1 atdc Valve Closure 34.8 abdc
Duration 212.6 crank deg Max cam lift .30689in Net valve lift .53092 in
lobe area 23.43 in * deg

Valve opening 41.3 bbdc Lobe center 115.3 btdc Valve closure -6.1 atdc
Duration 215.2 crank deg Max cam lift .2642 om Met va;ve ;oft .4955 in
Lobe area 22.57 in * deg.

Cam was originally purchased from Redline Performance Mustangs www.rpm-mustangs.com I have a set of PORTED heads that will come w/the motor as well as another intercooler (to be asked about later) what I want to know is how much better this cam is vs stock and is it really worth bothering to add to the engine. I was told by another individual on another forums "I do not like the cam overall the durations suck" When I originally purchased this cam it was reccomended for the rwhp output I am looking for if I used the stock engine w/ported heads and a good dual exhaust set up. But you guys know the supercoupe inside and out. Sell the cam and get another one or install it?
I am only looking for about 300 rwhp 370ish rwtq.

4) Finally for this installment of ?'s I would like to use two factory ic's thus makeing it sort of a double row ic. I know its possible but how is it done. Is it a huge custom fab job... is there somewhere I can farm this out for a decent price... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance for any assistance offered/rendered.

03-23-2007, 09:45 AM
wow no help to give a guy? Come on now...someone must know SOMETHING.

:) :confused:

Scott Long
03-23-2007, 09:51 AM
You are putting an SC motor into a mustang correct? There's a few guys here who have done the swap. Maybe if you title the tread SC swap into MUSTANG more of them would read it.

I've never done the swap so I can't be of much help. I like Mustangs, but I fit so much better and comfortable in my SC.

From what I know about cams the duration is too short and it's probably not worth it on a boosted motor. Go big or go home.

David Neibert
03-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Several people have done SuperCoupe 3.8 swaps into mustangs, but very few of them post here. I think you will find the answers your looking for on this website. http://v6power.net/

Here is a direct link to their message board.


Good luck with the swap.


03-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Thank you for your help. I found the forums there along time ago but never went back for some reason. I am posting in their needed section and as soon as I get it finished I'll post some end results here as well.

03-26-2007, 04:18 PM
sorry wrong thread

04-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Ok got a question for you guys. I keep hearing I will need a zero balance flywheel/harmonic balancer since I'm using an auto on a prev. 5spd engine.
Where might I find such Items?

04-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Ok got a question for you guys. I keep hearing I will need a zero balance flywheel/harmonic balancer since I'm using an auto on a prev. 5spd engine.
Where might I find such Items?

Try Supercoupe Performance or Spinning Wheels. There are links on thi site.

Kevin Varnes
04-03-2007, 12:43 PM
The crankshaft dampener (harmonic balancer) is the same part between the 5 speed and the automatic. Sounds like you just need the correct application flywheel. However if the dampener you have is older and/or been taken off I would just replace it with a BHJ unit and be done with it.

04-03-2007, 06:06 PM
supercoupe performance or spinning wheels. Gotcha. will check them out thanks.

what is a bhj unit?

Kevin Varnes
04-03-2007, 08:32 PM
BHJ is an aftermarket crankshaft dampener. They are pricey, but then again so is a new OEM unit. Not sure who all sells them anymore.

04-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Thank you kevin, I found that on one of the websites. So far Ive found a zero balanced b&m flexplate for an 87-95 GT. I believe its a 157 tooth. Would this work?

also the engine is a 94 model. I should be good w/the balancer thats on it, and just need the flexplate correct?