What is this hose made of

Dahoopd

It goes from the master cyclinder and through the fender well and mounts to the fluxcapacitor behind the front bumper. The hose looks like snot and I want to re-route it anyway. Is it a high pressure line, it looks to be braided with mesh or is it just a very thick brake line.

Attachments

• parts 001.jpg
    parts 001.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 150
  • parts 002.jpg
    parts 002.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 143
I would have said it is the hose that runs from the resivoir to the brake pump motor from the first picture. In that case it would be a while 6 inches long...but from the second picture I got lost... Is your camera upside down or something??

*Edit* This is on your LX, right?? I answered it based on the assumption it was an SC...but after further review I am not sure at all. I am sure it has brake fluid in it thought and it is not of the high pressure variety....

With the clamp that it has on the top of the hose at the master cylinder, I would say it is not a high pressure hose. I would however, make sure that whatever hose you use is compatible with brake fluid.

It is on my SC. Its going from the resovoir through the fender to whatever that is in the second picture. The cam may seem up side down from the date stamp but I had to get in close enough to take the shot.

Out looking at it again, its obviously not high pressure coming from the resovoir, but it does seem to have some sort of mesh in the line. Its just worn and frayed.

With the clamp that it has on the top of the hose at the master cylinder, I would say it is not a high pressure hose. I would however, make sure that whatever hose you use is compatible with brake fluid.

I figured i could just use regular brake line but should ask first.

It goes to the ABS pump assembly under the fender. It carries brake fluid but it isnt pressurized.

- Dan

Anyone have an idea where I can get some rubber line to replace this with. I cut the other one off and need a longer piece. I have searched all over for some rubber brake line. I am not sure of the I.D. of the tube. Anyone know? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

I just replaced this exact hose last week. I just cut off some extra rubber trans cooler hose I had and it worked perfect. If it's trans fluid compatible it must be brake fluid compatible. You can just take the hose to auto zone/advanced auto/etc and they can match the size. This hose is not under any pressure but when you take it off the reservoir will drain all its fluid out. It’s a very easy job to change out and just top off the brake fluid when done.

This thread has information on the hose I've been using for several years now. Brake fluid is definitely different than trans fluid and I wouldn't risk trans fluid lines on a brake fluid application. I did a lot of research while looking for the above hose and it was the best alternative I could find.

This thread has information on the hose I've been using for several years now. Brake fluid is definitely different than trans fluid and I wouldn't risk trans fluid lines on a brake fluid application. I did a lot of research while looking for the above hose and it was the best alternative I could find.

Kurt, I know you stated you bought the hose from an old store. But do you have any idea where else I may be able to locate it. I checked the gates site with no luck and also sent them an email. Thanks for the help.

GATES 5 RLA 5/16 INCH 1 BRAID MADE IN U.S.A. GL052902 Z3044

Kurt, I know you stated you bought the hose from an old store. But do you have any idea where else I may be able to locate it. I checked the gates site with no luck and also sent them an email. Thanks for the help.

GATES 5 RLA 5/16 INCH 1 BRAID MADE IN U.S.A. GL052902 Z3044

Who would have thought that their website would have changed in 2.5 years :rolleyes: I tried checking some of my saved links on my work computer, but I couldn't come up with anything. I probably won't get around to checking my home computer for quite some time. Have you tried calling some local parts stores to see if they carry Gates hoses and then check for the part number?

Hey Kurt,

Check this out. I guess you know the Gates product better than they do. I contacted them with the part number you supplied and this was their responce.......lol

said:
Gates has recommendation for non pressure application for hydraulic brakes. Do not use RLA because of the nitrile tube. Use hose that have EPDM tube and cover such as Safety Stripe heater hose or radiator tubing.

Hey Kurt,

Check this out. I guess you know the Gates product better than they do. I contacted them with the part number you supplied and this was their responce.......lol
I wouldn't go that far. It's possible that the EDPM is a better solution. I've never done any long-term testing....well, longer than about 2-3 years with the RLA. I just can't believe that there isn't a better recommended solution by Gates, than enclosing EDPM tubing inside radiator or heater hose.

Autozone sells goodyear fuel line by the foot that has a blue teflon lining. I would just replace it with that since regular rubber is more likely to rot.

Back