Problem with 92SC just brought out of storage

Ia92SUPRCUPE

Hello, I had my 92SC in my garage over the winter. Over the last couple of days i changed the oil(5W-30) checked the coolant lvls, chainged the rear tires and got her ready to go. This morning i went out and started her up. I let it idle for about 15 minutes waiting for the rad fan to kick on, then i was gonna do the idle re-learn procedure. Well after about 15-20 minutes the rad fan still hadnt kicked on, and i began hearing a noise from the engine. it kinda sounded like a clicking, but more like flapping noise(something making contact with something else). Then the motor died! The first thing i thought was that the engine siezed, so i got in and tried to start it and it turned over and started. I shut it down immediatley after it turned over. I did notice what looked like quite a bit of moisture comming from the tail pipes(theres puddles of water)(doesnt smell or look like coolant in it). I had just ordered SCP's Head gasket repair kit and SC tune up special and was gonna do that when the parts arrive.
So other that draining the oil back out and checking it, what else should i check or look for, and if anyone has thoughts/opinions about what might have happened please respond and let me know. thanx everyone

Its not uncommon to have water in your exhaust. After it has sat for a while, when you start it, the cold parts and warm engine can produce condensation. The amount kind of depends on the temperature difference between the 2. I've seen what I was sure a blown HG just to later find out it was condensation. Look at the dipstick and see if the oil level is higher than you filled it and look at the oil fill cap for moisture. These are just some things to keep an eye on over the next few days.

more info

thats what i figured about the moisture. Just ran a KOEO test and passed. I will run a KOER test asfter i get a hold of a volt meter to test alternator, and replace my ignition switch. Also, when the engine died, the upshift light and battery light came on. Also im wondering if the fuel pump craped out, whats the best way to listen for it to turn on when key is turned on? im gonna try opening the trunk or getting under rear of car.
thanks for your input

thats what i figured about the moisture. Just ran a KOEO test and passed. I will run a KOER test asfter i get a hold of a volt meter to test alternator, and replace my ignition switch. Also, when the engine died, the upshift light and battery light came on. Also im wondering if the fuel pump craped out, whats the best way to listen for it to turn on when key is turned on? im gonna try opening the trunk or getting under rear of car.
thanks for your input

well i been told and have read that the up shift light means the cam sensor or crank sensor is bad i cant remenber what one. i might be wrong cuz your batt light is on also i dont know for sure.

runs smooth now

so i went to lunch and came back out with my dad and started it after checking battery voltage, and it started up and idled smooth. I let it idle till the temp needle hit the M in NORM then the fan turned on and it cooled back down. Now my only question is..before we started it, we checked the dipstick and no oil on dipstick. when i changed the oil yesturday i put 5qts of oil in it. while it was running just now i checked and there was oil on the dipstick...so am i a quart short or what?

Don't check it while it's running.

Let the car sit for about 15 minutes after you turn it off, then check the oil and add till it's in the safe/full range.

If the upshift light came on I'd check the cam sensor. My car just died when I was in Virginia and then I got it restarted finally but no tach. It had to try 3 different times each start before it guessed the correct firing order.

If your tach still works I don't know why it died?

oil

The first time i checked it was a while after it ran the first time for about 15 minutes. I just thought it to be odd that when i changed the oil, i put 5quarts in and now after its run for a while it doesn't show full on the dipstick.

To update the problem, as i said before i started the motor again ang it stayed running. After warming up for about 10-15 minutes I took it for a drive. The entire time the engine sounded good and smooth. Is it possible the reason it died the first time was there was some "gummy" gas in the line and it had to dislodge it? Also as i was looking over the engine, i found what looked like a piece of the belt hanging from the AC pulley. Could the engine have stopped when the piece of belt wound around the Ac pulley? It wasnt a big piece, just a long thin piece of rubber and it wasnt extremely tight, so im not too worried about it for now, unless i find out later it fried the compressor.
K sorry for the long post, thnx again

If your tach still works, the only other thing that I know that would cause the car to die without a symptom or a code is the crank position sensor.

Does it start right back up or do you have to wait 15-20 minutes?

Sounds to me you should start it up and have a look at your harmonic balancer. These tend to break in half but still hang on the crank. The belt, rubbing sound and the upshift light would all point to the balancer wobbling.

Ive driven it twice since it died, (I drove it to work today) and it started without a problem and ran smooth. Ive checked the harmonic balancer since and i dont see any wobbling but the engine does move slightly...mabey its starting to go, or i need new engine mounts.

upshift

oh yeah, and the upshift light has not come on since i restarted it after the problem. or is it during starting that i look for the upshift light?

The first time i checked it was a while after it ran the first time for about 15 minutes. I just thought it to be odd that when i changed the oil, i put 5quarts in and now after its run for a while it doesn't show full on the dipstick.

Check to make sure the oil dipstick tube is fully seated in the block. If not, it'll falsely read low.

Just a question a did a search but came up with nothing you talked about the SCP's Head gasket repair kit and SC tune up special what is this and how do I find them?
I have had some concerns about the head gaskets and today being that it is snowing and I needed the heat and I was not impressed with the amout of Heat in the car. I will be replacing the themostat this weekend and just wanted more info.... thanks

fuel pump = I would check the pressure at the fuel rail - its alot easier

Oil level = if you filled it to the line, and if you changed the oil filter, when you start the car about a quart of oil will go into the filter and that's where you could see your oil "low"

hope this might answer some questions...

suggestions and info

Thanx for all your suggestions. I will check the fuel pressure. And the Sc tune-up special and Felpro gasket sets can be found at supercoupeperformance.com

Back