About to install oil psi gauge. Need opinions

Jeremy_K

I'd like to install my new autometer oil psi gauge in the trim panel to the left of my steering column. It won't be easily seen while driving but it will be in a good enough location to check the oil psi occasionally IMO. I want to get a couple more gauges in the future. Definately a water temp and maybe a boost or ACT which I will install in an autometer 2 gauge A-pillar pod. I think the triple gauge pod is a little excessive plus I don't know how it will fit since I have 94-97 A-pillar trim and my stock 1990 dash. What do you guys think? I have a hole saw that will go through the 2 layers of plastic and the steel behind them. I've posted pics so you have an idea where I'm talking about. Also, What could I tap into so the gauge backlighting will dim with my interior lights?

Attachments

• 032307_1326a.jpg
    032307_1326a.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 032307_1326b.jpg
    032307_1326b.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 91
I did delete my vmm but the 2 1/16" gauges are too big to go in that space. I don't want to delete my radio or my cup holders down in the DIN slot below.

I did delete my vmm but the 2 1/16" gauges are too big to go in that space. I don't want to delete my radio or my cup holders down in the DIN slot below.

I used the DIN pocket on my 93...Rod (Racecougar) machined me an aluminum face plate to fit the opening and it's painted flat black. I installed an Autometer 2-1/6" coolant temp and oil pressure gauge. Can't really see the numbers on the top portion of the gauges but I can see the needle position and I know what numbers it's pointing at.

David

I used the DIN pocket on my 93...Rod (Racecougar) machined me an aluminum face plate to fit the opening and it's painted flat black. I installed an Autometer 2-1/6" coolant temp and oil pressure gauge. Can't really see the numbers on the top portion of the gauges but I can see the needle position and I know what numbers it's pointing at.

David

Where do you put your Bud Lights while you're driving?:D I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to get rid of my cupholders especially now that it's a stickshift.:confused:

Where do you put your Bud Lights while you're driving?:D I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to get rid of my cupholders especially now that it's a stickshift.:confused:

If I have to drink something, it goes between my legs (scary with hot coffee). That car has a full manual VB, so you shift nearly as much as with a manual tranny. It also has much greater potential for spilling drinks and for getting in trouble with the law, so I don't drink anything when driving it except for an occasional bottle of Mountain Dew with a screw on cap.

David

that sucks then in my 94sc it fits perfectly I am going to be putting to gauges in there

Can you guys fit anything bigger than a 12 oz. can in your cupholders? I can't put any cups in there, only cans, the biggest is like a full throttle 16 oz. can.

I was thinking about sinkinging 3-4 gauges in the dash above the glove box, cocked off center facing me.

Scott, I can fit 32 oz taco bell cups in my cupholder but I usually carry my travel mug in there which is narrow at the bottom. I've decided to install 3 gauges above the radio instead. I'm going to hog that area out where the VMM was and make an aluminum gauge panel to take up the whole space. I've already test fitted a plastic template and it will fit perfect. I had to take the dremel and shave about 1/2" from the top edge of the outer dash trim panel. I will be able to secure the new gauge panel with 4-6 machine screws that will be hidden behind the outer dash trim panel. I'll post pics when done.

Last edited:
I bought one off of ebay that was modified by swapping the coin holder to the bottom and the cup holder to the top. If I pull it out far enough to stick a big cup in it, the tray will fall out because there isn't a safety stop on it anymore. I can slide it clear out of the base. Still being able to put a can or a 16 oz can in it is better than nothing. I used to just hold cups between my legs. 20 oz. bottles I can put the cap on and put them between the seat belt latch and the back of my seat angled forward next to the console.

Post pics when you get the gauges put in. I'd like to see that.

I bought one off of ebay that was modified by swapping the coin holder to the bottom and the cup holder to the top. If I pull it out far enough to stick a big cup in it, the tray will fall out because there isn't a safety stop on it anymore. I can slide it clear out of the base. Still being able to put a can or a 16 oz can in it is better than nothing. I used to just hold cups between my legs. 20 oz. bottles I can put the cap on and put them between the seat belt latch and the back of my seat angled forward next to the console.

Post pics when you get the gauges put in. I'd like to see that.

You shoulda bought one from me. I modified a bunch of them to sell. I put stops in the ones I made so that they didn't fly out.

The stock gauge works perfect, with an actual sensor & when modded correctly. An oil temp sensor, now that would be cool.

David

Dave,

Would it be a problem to snap a pic of that.

Dave,

Would it be a problem to snap a pic of that.

turbo%20interior.jpg

David

Looks good Dave and the interior is very clean. Tanks for the pics. Does it make it fifficult to always have to look down to read the gauges. It seems we are limited with the mounting areas.

Looks good Dave and the interior is very clean. Tanks for the pics. Does it make it fifficult to always have to look down to read the gauges. It seems we are limited with the mounting areas.

Thanks...I can't actually see the numbers on the top of the gauges unless I lean over, but I can see where the needle is pointing and know what numbers are there, so I can easily read them. For example, straight up on the coolant temp gauge is 180 degrees, straight up on oil pressure is 50 psi.

Pillar pod has fuel pressure and trans temp, the boost gauge/controller is that goofy looking one in the center of the dash, the green LED beneath it is for the meth injection, the rocker switch on the console is to engauge OD. Trans brake button/2 step rev limit activation is on a 2ft coiled cord and stays in the glove box unless racing.

David

PS: Exterior looks nearly stock too...just don't look under the hood.

http://members.tccoa.com/dneibert/turbo exterior.jpg

http://members.tccoa.com/dneibert/turbo hood up.jpg

Last edited:
Back