PDA

View Full Version : 1994 tbird needs help!

tbird3.8sc
03-25-2007, 06:24 AM
recently my car started sputtering when the boost guage starts around 0 to 5 psi of boost. it has a smooth idle. its an automatic and if you push it out of gear it then clears up? i can rev it up and it is smooth thru all rpms. change fuel filter,air filter and cleaned mass air flow sensor. not sure about the coil pack going bad? why does it only misfire at a certain psi of boost? any one have any ideas? need help!!! thanks to all with input!

SCme94
03-25-2007, 08:25 AM
How old are the plug wires? Are they all pushed onto the plug all the way? Either of these would cause a misfife under boost but seem fine otherwise.

Scott Long
03-25-2007, 10:48 AM
I've never went through plugs like I do in my SC's. In a naturally aspirated motor you can run the plugs and wires forever it seems but the SC will start to break up under boost when they are getting bad.

I change my plugs and wires every year or every year and a half. Lifetime warranty wires from Auto Zone and I just run Autolite 103 plugs.

None2Slow
03-25-2007, 02:58 PM
My car would really start to crap out under boost. Turned out to be the little piece of rubber hose from the Fuel pump to the pick up had a tear and would bleed off the excess fuel pressure when boost came on.