What would you do?(progress pics)

neverfastenough

Hey guys, its been a bad weekend. Rolling through town I got a CEL, and smelled coolant. My bud drove around me and said my pipes were dripping. I pulled into a vacant lot and clunk bla lal white cloud. I knew it was gonna hapen soon since it was loosing a wee bit of coolant for the past few months. Anyway, I tapped the key to see if it was locked and sure enough it is. My question is, should I change the headgaskets or get a long block from scp. The car has 110,000 mi and turned over pretty quick(thinking low comp) and had a loud knocking when cold and faint one when warm. It also had a horrible idle. Im afraid to do the headgaskets and run into another prob a week later. Post your thoughts ill be pulling the plugs and letting it drain.

Last edited:
My opinion is it will need a rebuild. The knock is a sure sign that a rod bearing got spun or hammered. Unfortuately, fixing the HGs won't fix that.

yea my thoughts exactly. I caught it before it heated up so I doubt a head is warped but for the cost of all the parts and maching you think a long block from SCP is the way to go?

My opinion buy the long block it sounds like your existing engine needs a rebuild enyway good luck :)

I guess my first reaction is wondering what you plan to do with the car. If the car is going to get built fast fast, then I'd rebuild the existing unit with some trick pistons and a cam upgrade at least. If stock is just fine, maybe a few bolt ons, then I'd take a look at price comparison and how much work/ time you have to dedicate.
Sorry to hear of your loss, good luck:)

The car is my daily driver. It has underdrives and exhaust goodies and thats all I really had planned for perfromance. The morning before this happened I was making a list of suspension goodies to make it handle better. It has enough power for what its used for, Id love to put down 300rwhp but I have neither the time nor money. So an all around nice handeling good running car is all im after, and thats the reason my dad ordered this car back in 89. If I plan on racing a car etc Ill buy a beater sc and just do engine mods and strip the interor etc. Hopefully you guys understand where Im coming from. Reliability is a must, I just want it back on the road. Thanks

Here's another option:

Lot's of SC'ers in the Ohio area. Maybe someone near you has a good used shortblock that you can pick up for a decent price. You can give everything a quick once-over, and swap it into your car. If it's a daily driver, that should get you many more miles.

JD

yea, idk what to do yet, I printed out your parts list and will pick up the parts I need for throing in a new long block, and if everythign checks out ok on the tear down, Ill buy the rest of the stuff and fix what I got. So Ill get new belts, O2's plugs wires, etc and if al goes well Ill pick up Hg's and fix it.

There are cheaper long blocks than SCP. 2 guys in another post recently got them from Seattle.

At least I'd put a BHJ balancer on the new engine wherever it comes from. Do not use your old balancer.

Today's three hours worth, not a bad start I guess.

supercoupe2003.jpg

supercoupe2008.jpg

supercoupe2017.jpg

sounds like were both are about at the same point. I guess I got a few hours in as well, but I dont have a garage. Between the rain and work its been a chore.

let me know how its goes and and any tips along the way

p.s. how exactly are you going to torque down your heads stock torque specs or ? I hear so many different ways and 30-50-70 etc

sounds like were both are about at the same point. I guess I got a few hours in as well, but I dont have a garage. Between the rain and work its been a chore.

let me know how its goes and and any tips along the way

p.s. how exactly are you going to torque down your heads stock torque specs or ? I hear so many different ways and 30-50-70 etc

hasnt crossed my mind yet, I dont know if I will even be torquing heads down if I decide to pick up a long block

ha ha, damn in 3 hours i would have pulled out the engine already, i can disassemble my engine with a blindfold! crazy dude! good luck and keep us posted!

Back