MAP Sensor on a 94 Tbird SC

Bird of Prey 94

Where is the MAP sensor located on the 94 Tbird SC? What is its function? How do you know when it is malfunctioning - for example, what will the engine start doing?

Thanks for your guidance as always.

On my 90 and 92 it's on a bracket on the passenger side of the firewall near the windshield. It has a plug going in but no vac hose.

Our vehicles don't have a MAP sensor, but it does have a MAF sensor. If your coming up with a code for the MAF try and clean it with a MAF cleaner, typically you should be able to find a spray can at an autoparts store like: CSK, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. Try cleaning it before replacing it because for a reman. it would cost $70+ then I want to say $40+ more for the core charge. Now if you want a New MAF thats going to cost somewhere around $150+.
The Mass Air Flow Sensors converts the amount of air drawn into the engine into a voltage signal. The ECM need to know intake air volume to calculate engine load. This is necessary to determine how much fuel to inject, when to ignite the cylinder, and when to shift the transmission.
It is located right after the air filter box, and looks somewhat like this.
MAF_Sensor.jpg

Note the MAF just isn't that top black box, the whole assembly its mounted on is the MAF. The MAF represented isn't the one in our vehicle.

http://www.samarins.com said:
Bad or contaminated Mass Air Flow sensor can possibly cause a wide range of various vehicle driveability problems such as stalling, especially when the engine is cold, misfiring, poor acceleration, etc.
In addition, a problem with the Mass Air Flow sensor often causes the "check engine" or "service engine soon" light in the vehicle instrument panel to illuminate.

Our vehicles also have a BAP sensor, which Scott was referring to.

Typical symptoms of failure can include misfiring and stalling, high surging idle and poor fuel mileage, but of course these can also be caused by other issues. Usually a trouble code will be set during failure, causing the "check engine" light to come on.
If you're troubleshooting a driveability issue, always start by checking and diagnosing the trouble codes.

"The BAP sensor measures barometric pressure using a frequency. This gives the PCM (computer) information on engine load. It is used as a barometric sensor for altitude compensation, updating the PCM during key-on engine-off and wide open throttle (WOT) events. The PCM uses BAP for spark advance, EGR flow (if so equipped), and air/fuel ratio."

Last edited:
Okay so I finally got a code scanner/reader, Actron Super Autoscanner CP9150, to check for my problem. When I tried to use it to retrieve the code I keep getting a malfunctioning error. It is saying codes show faults found during KOEO procedure. It says the same thing during KOER. I plugged the unit into the receptacle located by the mass air flow device. My question - is there a fuse or particular location that has to be turned on in the car in order for the code to be retrieved from the device; or does it means that somewhere the line is cut interrupting the device’s ability to retrieve the code?

I am not familiar with that scanner but failure to communicate or similar error codes can indicate a bad fuse or a bad ecm. check all fuses with a test light and try a quality scanner. Could be the computer isnt seeing power or you have a bad one {rare}

autozone and advance auto will only test vehicles with OBD II. i've tried 4 different stores in 2 different towns and they all told me the same.

advance has an actron scanner for OBD I cars and its been workin great for me.

Back