So im drivin....and i look down at my ashtray

FineLineMtrSprt

...And think...hmm i dont smoke, but ya know what...I might be able to get a few 2in gauges in there. So then my mind really goes to work. I could take some carboard, make a template to get a base size. Hit the crafts store get from heavy/thick density foam,a couple foam sclupters/scrapers and start to trim it accordingly.Make sure the gauges are slightly angles toward driver and i would have enough room to let them sit securely. Get a base size for it and make sure it fits..cover it with some fiberglass wadding them cover it in fiberglass jelly/resin. Let it cure...test fit it...drill my holes for the gauges..sand it smooth then paint it black and bolt the damn thing down....or has someone already beat me to this and makes it ready to go. I dont know...let me know what you guys think.

I used the ashtray to hide the XM Tuner controls in my wife's 300M Special, and plan to do something similar in my bird. I can't decide between XM for this car, or go with an HD radio add on kit for it yet... I have the JBL System that Paul Protos reconditioned for me and want to keep the car stock looking...

In the M I used some fiberglass and resin to form the tray the control set in. Looked factory when I was done with it (you will never think it looks good though because you know the flaws, but others will see it as sweet...). This was before Terk made XM tuners that connected to the factory audio system (Navigation). I have since put the ashtray back in since the XM is direct connected.

Are you going to try to retain the door that closes over them?? Keep in mind to use some disconnects on the wires so you can remove the center console easily should you need to..

Please post up pics when done! I'd like to see the results!

Nahh i wont try to keep the ashtray door. No need for it...its broken anyway lol.yeah i will try and do everything on a disconnect style system so it can be fairly easily removed.

I was just thinking about making a built-in cupholder there. I have a special little thing I made for the old CD player/cupholder slot in the dash, so no-go to a taurus cupholder insert. :D I need to post some pictures of it on here....it took like 30 hours to make. :rolleyes:

I've seen gauges down there before, but nothing as fancy as you speak. :)

Well it does sound like a lot of work but honestly afetr the first few are made and tested it prolly wuldnt be much to make a couple of them...who knows might be able to offer them to SCCOA members....but thats a bit down the road.

im working on hiding my sirrius radio tuner in the ashtray and making a new door for it Stainless of course.:D :cool:

someone accidently scrapped my stainless center console i was working on so now i have to start from nothing again.:mad: oh well i just add that in there this time. ;)

A stainless console...sweet post picks of that MOFO when you're done...oh and hey....kickass your in homewood..i lived in country club hills for 10 years and my parents just sold the house there.

Back