Clutch safety switch bypass= no spark?

scbird94

Today i put new ECT sensor harness in, PCV valve, and while i was under the dash changing my clutch/slave cylinder bushing, i removed the clutch switch and broke the plastic bracket- so i put a zip tie closing the switch, temporarily.

Started fine, on drive home several miles later started acting very doggy, poofed twice then killed. Started hesitantly about 5 mins later, drove about 2 blocks, now wont start at all.

I do not have spark, fuel pressure is present, didnt have noid light in car at time.

I look at the wiring diagram for the switch, one wire is "electronic engine control"

Is this related? I want to put the clutch switch back to normal, CANNOT find one of those stupid plastic brackets- ideas?

Check engine light been on since cats gone, new o2 sensors & thermostat housing gasket as well. My MAC Mentor (otc genisys) will give me NO codes whatsover through any self test or code library. Need a different scanner i think.

Dylan Roth
St. Cloud, MN

Last edited:
Cant you just splice the wires together to complete the circuit? At least to find out what the problem may be.

Cant you just splice the wires together to complete the circuit? At least to find out what the problem may be.

I may try that, but holding the switch shut with a zip-tie accomplishes the same thing? just like your foot on the pedal. Im just not sure what "electronic engine control" circuit does.

Check the damper on the front of the crank shaft snout and make sure the belts are turning when you try to start the motor. If the crank sensor fails the EEC won't allow spark.

The broken clutch switch may just be a coincidence.

I thought the switch just controlled the starter but there is 2 seprate circuits. Try using 2 jumpers like this stock auto jumper. This was the jumper I removed to do a 5 speed swap. One must be ignition and the other the starter?
Just unplug your switch and plug in the jumpers as they tested the circuit closed on these settings.

Attachments

• jumpers.JPG
    jumpers.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 78
  • DVC00022.JPG
    DVC00022.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Fixed

Well, the problem was apparently a complete coincedence that it happened after i broke my clutch switch. I found i had no spark, no injector pulse, no crank signal to PCM, replaced my crank sensor- still did not work. So i was in the process of changing my cam sensor when i found the fat wire connector from cam/ect/etc sensors that lives on top of the motor was very loose.
I must have bumped it when i installed my new SC pulley...

Clicked it in, started right up. Ended up changing cam sensor anyway because of a 214 CID code, but runs great now!

Thanks for all the help!

Oh and does anyone know where i can buy a new plastic bracket for the clutch pedal switch? Oem part number? zip ties only last so long!

Last edited:
weird, well on my car (5spd)the clutch switch went out, and i temporarily spliced the wire, it worked fine, had spark and everything. but the schematic should tell you for sure...

Back