timmimg cover gasket (help)

wildchild048

I have a 90 sc and I think my timming cover is leaking.Can anyone tell me how to replace the gasket.Looks like it is going to be a long day.

What's leaking? you sure it's not just the thermostat housing? That's a common point to be leaking coolant and it's on top of that cover, thus could easily look like it's coming from there.

The coolant ports in the cover are pretty well contained due to the bolts holding the water pump on are also holding the cover on. I suppose it could leak, but it wouldn't be a common issue unless you just had it rebuilt and someone forgot to tighten that down.

I've replaced a leaking cover gasket before. If your timing cover gasket is leaking, you will have to take both accessory brackets off, the harmonic balancer off, pretty much everything. Don't forget about the bottom right torques or alan head bolt on the cover. Kinda threw me off one time when I was replacing that gasket.

Last edited:
After 220,000 miles, mine is leaking as well. The reason I've avoided fixing it is the HB has to come off. Mine is in good shape, I don't really want to mess it up when I reinstall it (which I will do ;) ) But the leak is a bad thing with a Texas summer coming up so its now a must do. After I get Red's AOD rebuilt and installed, I'll tackle the timing chain cover. :)

After 220,000 miles, mine is leaking as well. The reason I've avoided fixing it is the HB has to come off. Mine is in good shape, I don't really want to mess it up when I reinstall it (which I will do ;) ) But the leak is a bad thing with a Texas summer coming up so its now a must do. After I get Red's AOD rebuilt and installed, I'll tackle the timing chain cover. :)

If it's still got the original balancer on the car, I seriously doubt it's in as good of shape as you think it is.

David

Just started the timming cover job.Looks like somebody had done some work on this engine befor, because the hb looks new and there is blue rtv around water pump and timming cover,and broken wire connectors.So far it seems to be an easy job,did not even have to remove assery bracket on left side but had to remove power steering bracket on right side.Also see rtv around valve covers.

Make sure you carefully consider the pain you could be in if a stock balancer fails on your motor, especially after you're removed it once. The original factory balancers are not considered to be reliable if they've never been removed. Remove it once, and it's even less reliable if you reinstall it.

Not sure if this is on all 3.8`s but the long bolts that go though the water pump and timming cover need sealent as they go into the water jacket of the block. I have seen them leak at the bolts.

Not sure if this is on all 3.8`s but the long bolts that go though the water pump and timming cover need sealent as they go into the water jacket of the block. I have seen them leak at the bolts.

yea true but if you put rtv around the water ports it shouldnt leak, for one because some of that rtv got arouind the bolt.

Felpro has a new permatorque gasket for the timing cover that has a beed of their rubber stuff that goes all the way around the cover and the fluid passages.

Back