test drove 04 gto tonight....

ddw350

every once in awhile i get a hair up my rear and decide to test drive a vehicle or 2..usually when the sc is acting up and i get all mad...like im gonna trade it in for a whopping 1600.00...anyway this time it was a 2004 gto.5.7L with 22000 miles..it was yellow. has alot of ~~~,and squealed wheels at a touch of the gas and a tap of the brakes..interior looked really nice,everything was matching like the gauges,seats,etc...it had aftermarket mufflers only,no cat back or custom stuff. its pretty fast and tourqey.seems like it wouldnt take much to make it really haul ~~~ either.a retired military man traded it on a new 350z[they have a board of pictures of people who buy stuff,they take your pic and put it up,he was on it with his new z] it was all but $19000..i like it better than the subaru legacy gt i drove a few months ago,but i bet it wont go in the snow....also..i hear people want the 05 and up due to the 6.0L motor in the gto,thats why you see alot of 04s for sale..

I always heard get the 05 and up too. Better motor and duals. Also, I think the scoops on the hood.

So pretty fun to drive uh?

yea its nice..im not one of those gotta have a ford or dodge or whatever,im pretty neautral on cars.like i say i love the subaru legacy gt i drove! i like the sc too...the gto is great.i really liked it .people will alwys say you should get this or that...or the classic" my friend had one and hated it"..i would buy one..im sure theyre other cars to compare it to around the same $$...i wonder if the extra couple thousand dollars are worth the 25 hp and scoops on the 05...i would think you get these cars with 20k miles + for 17k if you really pushed the salesman. i see there are chrome wheels availabe for it too..im a fool for chrome wheels,though i cant seeem to get mine rechromed on the sc anymore??? honestly,if it had chrome wheels,i may have bought it.my fiance says we need a house 1st,or a least something all wheel drive if i get a vehicle...guess i could tell her that its awd,she'd have no clue!

not surprising,seems there is always an issue with something on a car...like the sc and the head gaskets! i dont know anyone who has one to ask if theve had any problems with anything.when i was tooling with the idea of the legacy gt,i at least was able to ask people how they like the car,cause there are a few floating around town..i guess they[the gto] have a website i could look at...

i think someone on this board broke a GTO rear end on a test drive... if i remember correctly, the salesperson wasnt too happy about it either...

i bet he was pissed! oh well....warranty work!,i bet they put a pepboys rear back in it!

Go for the gto if ya like it the 5.7 ls1 is a great engine.My buddy had a 98 z28 with a 5.7 auto we had it running 11.20's at 122mph on bfg d/r's all day long with only TEA stage 1.5 heads,mac shorties with custom exhaust,a small cam from thunder racing,a yank 3800 converter,and a tune with ls1 edit that we did ourselves,and the rest of the car was all stock with a 110k on it.I've played with numerous different engines and must say I was most impressed with the ls1.Oh but we did break 3 stock rears in the process.

Jay

Get the 5.7 and you can always add a supercharger if you need more power later. The GTO is a lot of car for the money, especially the 05 model.

David

LS1 GTO's rock. I drove one and loved it. Back then they were still fast though, these days...not so much.

Last edited:
My friend had an 06 GTO and blew the rear end out twice. They fixed it under warranty and then told him no more.

He did it once powershifting to 2nd gear. They never got it right after that it had bad gear howl. Going 70 mph down the highway if you turned off the radio you could hear the gears howling and it would get louder if you sped up.

I liked the engine it was powerful and really threw you back in the seat. The interior was very nice for a GM. Leather doors and dash.

He took the mufflers off since they are just clamped on and it sounded pretty mean.

Best I saw it run at the track was 13.6@104mph with a 1/4 tank of gas and an empty car and spare removed. The car has the gas tank behind the seat so it's awkward but maybe it helps by putting weight on the rear axle?

He had the 18" wheels on his. That car sat low from the factory and I thought it was lowered but he said it was bone stock. I liked it but the rear ends would have made me get rid of it to. Now he has another LT1 Z28 go figure.

An auto GTO might not kill rear ends like the manuals.

Last edited:
Hey BLOWNV6, what is so special about your car?

And Scott, GM had to put a fuel cell in the trunk because the stock Monaro gas tank location wasn't sufficient for the 5mph bumper impact standards here.

A friend of mine has a LS2 auto GTO and he only ran like a 13.6 too. Aren't those LS2's drive-by-wire? Also the motor was hot and aparently the ACT sensors are located right by the radiator and yank a bunch of timing or something. I dunno. The cars should run 12's IMO....and I bet they are just a re-flash + set of drag radials away from the 12 sec zone.

Back