power steering problem??/

joeman007a

Lately my car seems to have trouble turning. The car does nt turn well when it is at a dead stop making it very hard to pull out of parking spaces...etc. any help is appreciated. i dont know what the problem would be, or how i can check to see if the pump is bad.

First, check your fluid level, and top off as needed. Second, drive around for a while, and then check the fluid level and see if it's low. If it is, you have a leak, but it may not be coming from the p/s pump, it may be coming from a high pressure p/s line. Check the pump to see if it's wet, if it is, make sure its p/s fluid and not your valve cover leaking (you'll be pretty pissed if you spend an arm and a leg to have the pump changed only to find out it was just fine). If the pump is not wet, check all of your lines from beginning to end and make sure all connections are good. Hope that helps.

Danny

These Birds have speed sensitive P/S. It is supposed to give full assist at parking lot speeds, and reduce the assist as the vehicle's speed increases. The unit that does the work is mounted in the trunk, under the rear deck close to the seat backs. If your P/S pump is working propperly, this is the most likely area to check.

Back