Back with a 93 5.0 and I need info

Superloop

Hey everybody I know alot of you don't know who I am, but I used to own an 89 sc that got stolen:( anyway when i got the car back I tried to save her, but it was a nightmare so I let her go and I bought a 93 tbird 5.0.
The motor doesn't run(bad motor) so I went and bought a wrecked 89 mustang and pulled the motor, so my question is: is the mustang's 5.0 a direct fit in my tbird or what do I need to do to intall it? I'm gonna keep pretty much stock, except for I want to delete the a/c and air pump, what do I have to do to acomplish this? and one last question, where can I get headers to fit the bird?
I know I can get more info at tccoa, but the only web access I have is at work and that site is blocked. Thanks for any help:) I miss driving a tbird; I haven,t driven one since my 89 sc:eek:
Thanks!!!

Direct fit? Sorta...the GT has a different firing order, so if you pull the wires, you will need to reinstall them with the 13726548 firing order. Are you going to swap over the intakes or what? As far as exhaust goes, KOOKS makes headers for that. I dont know ANYONE who makes headers for them other than that.

Chris

Direct fit? Sorta...the GT has a different firing order, so if you pull the wires, you will need to reinstall them with the 13726548 firing order. Are you going to swap over the intakes or what? As far as exhaust goes, KOOKS makes headers for that. I dont know ANYONE who makes headers for them other than that.

Chris

Kooks doesn't make headers for the 5.0 bird only 3.8

well, according to my shop manuals both the 93 bird and 89 mustang have the same firing order which is what you posted: 13726548.
Yes, I was planning on swaping only the upper intake from the bird to the mustang motor, ford says the lower is the same part #. So, who makes headers for this car? I can't find anybody that knows. Thanks for replying:D
How about the a/c delete and air pump delete?
I'll post pics of the motor; I rebuild it because I wasn't sure if it ran since the mustang was all tore up. It looks nice:D Ford red

i am glad you found that info, i was just going to say that. headers, mac and jba are the only companys that i know are still making the headers for the 5.0 tbird cougar. supercoupe performance sells them, as well. but i think the ones they sell are macs . any mustang air pump delete will work ,dont forget to get plugs for the heads . the ac part, you can order thru ford motorsport . justin

All HO 5.0's have the 351 firing order.

Basically you need to pulle everything off your Tbird motor and put on stang motor.

Oil pan and pickup
Upper intake, TB
timing chain cover & waterpump

All pulleys and accesories

basically just use the stang longblock

I would do the head gaskets and a timing chain while its all apart though. Lower intake is different in that the ACT sensor is in teh lower intake in the stang and in the airbox I believe in the Tbird...No big deal

Its very straightfoward

All HO 5.0's have the 351 firing order.

Basically you need to pulle everything off your Tbird motor and put on stang motor.

Oil pan and pickup
Upper intake, TB
timing chain cover & waterpump

All pulleys and accesories

basically just use the stang longblock

I would do the head gaskets and a timing chain while its all apart though. Lower intake is different in that the ACT sensor is in teh lower intake in the stang and in the airbox I believe in the Tbird...No big deal

Its very straightfoward

if he has a complete mustang as a parts car why wouldn't he be able to use the wiring and everything from the 93 mustang and make it work with the tbird? Swap everything over to 93 mustang

How about the a/c delete and air pump delete?[/

They can both be removed and just revise the belt routing...that's what I did on my 93. You don't need to mess with a delete kit.

beltsizes.jpg

David

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for the help.:D Hey david, what belt part # did you use?
As for the long block, I rebuild it and I reused everything from the mustang except the front brackets and upper intake; So do I need to take it all apart and use the tbirds lower intake and oil pan and front timing cover?

I was unaware that the T-bird was a H.O. The regular firing order is 13726548. As far as the headers go, I thought there was a GP on TCCoA for the Kooks. Guess I was wrong. Ask a guy with a screen name of MadMartigan or GuitarMaistro (or close to that) I am pretty sure they both have 3/4 lengths or long tubes. One of them had to beat the piss out of his floor pan though, so I would definately check with them so you dont run into the same problem. Also, 392 bird could give you the ins and outs of running the stang headers and the kit to relocate your steering shaft. Oh...and what Damon said about the oil system too.

As for the wiring, is your car SD? If it is, and you plan on running any sort of a cam, you will want to use the stang wiring too. Its MA and easier to work with (after the hard wiring part is done).

Chris

Yeah, I think all birds with a 5.0 H.0 are maf. Never mind on the belt # I see them now:D I didn't pay attention. Thanks for the help David:) I know I read somewhere about a company that makes headers for a 93 tbird 5.0, but I can't find it. So, can I use the mustangs timing cover, lower intake and oil pan on my bird? The oil pans look the same. The lower intake looks that same also.
Now the timing cover might be different because a water pump for a 93 bird is different than an 89 mustang. Does anybody know about these 3 parts?
Thanks for all the info:)

timing cover is the same as the 94-95 stang 5.0's and the explorer 5.0s, like the 95-98 version 5.0's on the explorers

use a 94-95 stang 5.0 water pump and delete the clutch fan and put on an electric fan and get some HP!

Thanks everybody for the help.:D Hey david, what belt part # did you use?
As for the long block, I rebuild it and I reused everything from the mustang except the front brackets and upper intake; So do I need to take it all apart and use the tbirds lower intake and oil pan and front timing cover?

I used the last one shown until having to switch to a 94/95 cobra 5.0 crank pulley so the MSD trigger wheel would fit, then I switched to a slightly shorter belt.

David

Last edited:
david neibert fakken rullesss!!! gives a standing ovation for david! GO DAVID... if you cant do it no one can!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!!!! DAVID!!!! DAVIDD!!!!

Back