starting 95 sc

90scman

i just put in my motor and trans. i went to turn the key over and all i got was a klicking. besides battery what else could it be. i have a new starter. when i tryed to start it, i had the battery charger hooked up. any ideas to trouble shoot this problem? don

Could be the connections to the battery, or the connections on the other end of those cables. But usually when this happens to me, it's just a weak battery.

If you hear a clicking, thats the solenoid engaging to direct power to the starter, but if it's not turning, theres a problem with not enough power for the strter to turn.

Most likely low battery power. Even if the charger is connected, you have to let the battery build up enough juice before the starter will turn. Step-by-Step to check

1. Charge battery fully. Try to start.

2. Check battery connections, make sure they are clean adn the clamps are tightened for positive connection.

3. Check for good ground connection to block. Or shortcut by creating a jumper for ground: take a set of jumper cables, connect negative clamp to neg terminal on battery. Connect the other negative clamp to metal accessory bracket. Do nothing with the postive clamps. Try starting. If the car starts, you have bad ground cables. If it still does nothing but clicks, grounds aren't the problem, next step

4. Check postive battery cable and connections to solenoid (on driver side fender) and connection to starter (under passenger side on transmission). Clean connections/replace cable if required.

5. Remove starter and test.

6. If you get to here without finding the problem, you're buggered :eek: . Check back in, and we'll continue with other possibilities.

Biggest culprit I have found over the last 30 years is replacement cable ends. These are for emergency temporary use only ,use solder on ends or replace the cables.The ones with 2 bolts and a strap that holds the cable are bad news solder new permenant ends on or replace cables.

Hey Don sounds like your almost there, i hope you get it up and running soon, i will be home later in the week.

got it to turn over

i got the car to to turn over but it wont start. does any one no how to go from a 2 wire 95 crank sensor to a 4 wire 89 sensor? i have a 89 block but a 95 car and im trying not to have to swap timing covers. any help would be great. don

Unfortunately, the 2 different crankshaft position sensors are incompatible. The computer will only recognize the type it was designed for.

there is no way to re wire it to work with the early sencer?

I don't think so. I believe the sensor and HB need to match the same year EEC computer :( Ford switched over to an entirely different crank trigger signal.

Just a quick thought if your SC is cranking but not turning over - did you check that plug wires are snug at both coil and plug ends and are installed in the correct firing order?

Did you also install the correct computer for the engine?

I'm not sure of differences in command units. Just trying to toss out ideas.

Good luck.

Mark

Back