Cooling system questions

Brando B

I have a small pin-hole sized leak on the radiator of my 1990 SC. The radiator will shoot out a thin stream of coolant, but it will stop once the radiator gets warmed up. Is there a way to fix/patch that tiny hole?

Also, there is a coolant hose that goes on the top of the water pump and into the thermostat housing. Can that hose be purchased pre-formed or can I use any coolant hose with the correct inside diamerter? And if so, does anyone know what the inside diamer of that hose is?

Thanks,
Brando

I think you can take it to a rad shop and they can braze it, but is likely the first of many. My '89 started like that and eventually over the summer it progressed into some cracks. Even with the brazing you would simply be delaying buying a new radiator. If it is the original I would say it has served you well for 17 faithful years. I would look into getting a replacement before summer gets here. Radiator Express is the most economical solution. Buy it from thier ebay store, as it is cheaper that way. There are more expensive alternatives that probably work better (Griffin) but in a stock application Rad. Express will do just fine.

They have a Rad. Express right out in Portsmouth somewhere I think. They might even have one in stock.

If you plug holes in an old radiator its like plugging holes in an old boat eventually you are going to sink. Radiator shops dont fix the hole they bypass the tube that is leaking if your radiator is old probably some tubes are already plugged with corrosion.The rad on our cars is marginal at best so bite the bullet and get a new replacement and save your headgaskets.

Theoretically rad shops can fix th pin hole. However, as stated above, once there is one, count on more to follow. As aftermarket replacements are not overly expensive on T-birds, do't waste time chasing your tail. It's time for a new rad anyway.

Yes, you can buy the bypass hose pre-formed, Dayco part number is 71461. Goodyear number is 63117.

Back